cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Parts randomly out of place

BrandonM
6-Contributor

Parts randomly out of place

We are using CATIA and Windchill WGM. We are getting duplicate (phantom) parts in upper level assemblies.  Sometimes the parts are (exploded) as far as position, other times they are in the correct location, just duplicated.  They are always "products" list as a child of a "part".  The part is 98% of the time some piece of hardware. (rivet, flow drill screw, spot weld).  I know that deleting the "product" one level above the problem "part" and then re-inserting the product into the assembly, seems to graphically fix the issue in the upper level assemblies.  I know that opening a sub-assembly in a new window shows the geometry correctly. (at least graphically)  I have reason to believe that even though the sub-assembly opens graphically good, Catia still recognizes the exploded parts.  The exploded parts show in the product structure of the top level assembly but do not show when opening the lower level assemblies. Anyone have any resolution?  https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS219398?source=search is what I found. It is useless.. but the issue is similar. My assemblies are not flexible, and propagating to position does nothing.  

2 REPLIES 2
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:BrandonM)

As many of us are not CATIA users, is there some background information of how the CAD software is managing references that could be causing this? Are you referring to the WTPart Structure or the CAD structure? Have you looked at CAD to Part reference types or CAD references to spot the issue?

BrandonM
6-Contributor
(To:avillanueva)

Thanks for taking a look at this. The issues are with the CAD structure not WT. There are no broken links to any references. It just pulls them into CAD in the wrong location. In CATIA the parents control the location, which is why when you reload the parent of the out of place part, by removing it from the ASSY and then re-adding it the parts come back in the correct location. A lot of the parts are the same and or saved as and modified, so the windows UFID is probably the same, but I didn't think that was an issue with WGM. I am just trying to find out if anyone had any issues similar with parts out of place with WGM and CATIA, in the non flexible assembly context.  

Top Tags