cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Possible to Rerun a Critical Patch Set?

pcnelson
1-Newbie

Possible to Rerun a Critical Patch Set?

Is it possible to rerun a Critical Patch Set? We discovered that the psi_iir.xml file had some incorrect references to a previous server that needed to be corrected after the patch was initially installed. Now when attempting to rerun the patch the product installers are not recognized and I cant get past the Staging Area screen. This is M020-CPS04 for Windchill 10.2

8 REPLIES 8
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:pcnelson)

On 10/22/14 09:45, pete nelson wrote:
>
> Is it possible to rerun a Critical Patch Set?  We discovered that the psi_iir.xml file had some
> incorrect references to a previous server that needed to be corrected after the patch was
> initially installed.  Now when attempting to rerun the patch the product installers are not
> recognized and I cant get past the Staging Area screen.
>

You should have 2 staging areas

* The extracted cps04 download
      o ie: /opt/ptc/download/wc/10.2/m020/stage.cps04
  * The original M020 staging area
      o ie: /opt/ptc/download/wc/10.2/m020/stage

>   This is M020-CPS04 for Windchill 10.2
>
>
> ----------

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
   Fax: 785-667-2695

Correct, the attached screen shot (staging.png)shows the current view, while staging initial.png shows it during the first install. The Copy to Staging does not see any Product Installers, but it shouldnt need to(right?) since they are already in both staging folders. Thaks for your help.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

On 10/22/14 10:16, pete nelson wrote:
>
> Correct, the attached screen shot (staging.png) shows the current view, while staging initial.png
> shows it during the first install.  The Copy to Staging does not see any Product Installers, but
> it shouldnt need to (right?) since they are already in both staging folders.
>

The product installer it is looking for is the installer that comes with the cps04 download. You
need to extract the cps04 download into its own directory and then use that directory as a (2nd area
in your case) staging area. If you have other cps's in your d:/Install/Service Packs directory this
will cause a problem with the installer.

>   Thaks for your help.
>
>
> ----------

--
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401

Right, it's already in the 2nd staging folder shown, D:\Install\Service Packs. That folder only contains the CPS04 files.

Yes, the command I am running is D:\Install\Service Packs\PTC_Solution_Installer_10.2\setup

I tried renaming the folders to allow adding them back with the renamed the cpsxxstaging area 1st and the original install staging area as the 2ndstaging area. That allowed me to add the installer files to the cps staging area but after that it was still stuck., as if it was looking for something else. The program can apparentlytell that the CPS was run before because the Add Additional WorkGroup Managers selection is grayed out when it comes to thestep to pick Install CPS/Add WGM/Install Optional Components/etc. There must be a setting that tells it the CPS has already been run.

Have you sucessfully rerun a CPS?

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

On 10/22/14 13:30, pete nelson wrote:
>
> Yes, the command I am running is D:\Install\Service Packs\PTC_Solution_Installer_10.2\setup
>
> I tried renaming the folders to allow adding them back with the renamed the cpsxx staging area 1st and the original install staging area as the 2nd staging area.  That allowed me to add the installer files to the cps staging area but after that it was still stuck., as if it was looking for
> something else.  The program can apparently tell that the CPS was run before because the Add Additional WorkGroup Managers selection is grayed out when it comes to the step to pick Install CPS/Add WGM/Install Optional Components/etc.  There must be a setting that tells it the CPS has already been run.
>
> Have you sucessfully rerun a CPS?
>

I have successfully "reran" however several times in the past however none of the "reruns" were after I had selected the final "Install" button. The reruns were always somewhere in the middle ie: redo a munged staging area, or fix something in the psi_iir_index.xml file.

>
> ----------

--
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401

Thanks Randy for your help. The official word from PTC Tech Support is the there is no way to remove or rerun the patch and that we will need to restore the system to the "pre-patch" state. Needless to say I am not impressed.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

On 10/23/14 08:22, pete nelson wrote:
>
> Thanks Randy for your help.  The official word from PTC Tech Support is the there is no way to
> remove or rerun the patch and that we will need to restore the system to the "pre-patch" state.
>

That is why I always do this (on both my test servers and my production server):

1. zfs snapshot -r /opt/ptc/Windchill@before_10.2m020_cps04
2. install critical patch set
3. zfs snapshot -r /opt/ptc/Windchill@after_10.2m020_cps04

Then if you get into a "pickle" it is trivial to restart with this:
zfs rollback -r pool1/opt/ptc/Windchill@before_10.2m020_cps04
zfs rollback -r pool1/opt/ptc/Windchill/ocu@before_10.2m020_cps04
zfs rollback -r pool1/opt/ptc/Windchill/vaults/cache@before_10.2m020_cps04
zfs rollback -r pool1/opt/ptc/Windchill/vaults/master@before_10.2m020_cps04

>   Needless to say I am not impressed.
>
>
> ----------