cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Potential issues with V11.0 Windchill and 2016 Inventor?

apotts53
4-Participant

Potential issues with V11.0 Windchill and 2016 Inventor?

Is anyone currently running the two listed programs and software in the title in conjunction with one another? We are currently operating on an Inventor only CAD system with a physical vault backing up files. I know that Windchill is compatible with different software, including Inventor, and will transfer bulk files from various vault systems. But my question is, are there any other issues while running these together? I was looking at other threads and found some information stating possible errors with locking active work spaces, and other issues that plagued this software duo in previous versions; such as closing the active autodesk windows when importing or working in Windchill. Overall, for anyone using these software versions and programs, is it an efficient system going from Inventor to Windchill? Are there any issues, large or small? Looking for any and all feedback possible. Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:apotts53)

Your primary reference for CAD compatibility is this PTC document:

https://support.ptc.com/WCMS/files/168115/en/Windchill11.0M030CADIntegrationMatrix_28122017.pdf

There should be no issues, but using another PLM solution with your primary CAD tool does lead to some frustrations. What is wrong with using Autodesk Vault for your Inventor files?

One issue with non-native interactions is waiting for one vendor or the other to update their software for the other one. Just as you get the releases in line for an upgrade, another version is released.

apotts53
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

We are currently using Autodesk vault but our customer uses only Windchill; and they will not entertain other possible vault systems or software. Therefore we need to convert all current documents over for future usage. I have looked in numerous places trying to find proof of concept that people running the exact same programs/software in question execute efficiently. If we convert our current 90GB of documents over to Windchill and there's an issue to where something is inadvertently affected it will take countless hours to correct it.

JHall
16-Pearl

We are in the process of installing (for the first time at our company) Windchill 11.0 (M030).  We currently use Inventor 2017 and Vault.  For Windchill we will be using Windchill Workgroup Manager 11.0 M030.

So far the only issue we have encountered is a font display problem in GDT frames and diameter symbols in dimensions. This  Our VAR told us to use the help center font solution for AutoCAD files.  That did not solve our Inventor problem.  

I'm going to ask  a question about the font issue this morning, perhaps the community knows how to solve it.  However to your point, WGM seems to incorporate Inventor just fine, except for this one issue.

apotts53
4-Participant
(To:JHall)

Thank you for the information, it was exactly what we are looking for. Upon initial integration, did you incur any issues transferring files from your previous storage methods, in our case it is Autodesk vault, to Windchill? Also, have you found a solution to the font issue yet?

JHall
16-Pearl

We haven't ran into any other issues.  We 'get' the files from Vault and place them in a local folder that you know where to browse to from inside WGM's Workspace.  We also make certain that Vault is completely disconnected from Inventor and WGM is fully connected BEFORE trying the import.  I have a little doc file describing this procedure, if you want it, let me know.

Then all I have to do is import the files from WGM's and follow the prompts and check them into Windchill. After years of working with Creo and Windchill, I expected more problems than I've had.  Naturally I'm talking about a few files.  The big transfer happened programatically by a VAR. 

I haven't figured out the Font situation yet.  I've got two good trails to follow from TomU (make sure Inventor (or the CAD worker) is configured to embed the TrueType fonts into the DWF file) and Ben Loosi (determine where the actual Creo View publishing is taking place. That machine needs to have the Inventor fonts installed). 

Our VAR opened a case with PTC, so once things are settled, I will post a solution.

apotts53
4-Participant

I appreciate all your assistance. If you wouldn't mind I would like to take a look at that formatting document. Based on everything you're saying and what I have found online, there are far less issues than expected with these corresponding programs. I'll take a look at that document and present everything you have given me to my peers.

GianpaoloGallo
6-Contributor

Dear JHall,

as we probably are going to switch from Autodesk Vault to Windchill, could you share the formatting doc file you did please?

my add is g.gallo@cemegroup.com 

Top Tags