cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Preventing Obsolete Part Reuse

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Preventing Obsolete Part Reuse

Is there a way to prevent CAD objects at a specific life cycle from being added to new assemblies without preventing them from being accessible in the assemblies they already exist in? Can a lifecycle state and related permissions somehow prevent new references from being created for certain objects? I don't want to change the ability to download and open legacy designs, but I want to somehow keep certain obsolete parts in those legacy designs from being reused in new designs. Is there a simple way to do this (other than telling the users "don't assemble anything with lifecycle state set to obsolete")? This is with WC 9.1 M050 & WF5 M120. Thanks.

Tom Uminn
Engineering Systems Analyst
trans-matic Mfg.
616-820-2499
-<">mailto:->

5 REPLIES 5

This is interesting. I’m guessing you could remove the ability to “Download” and that would prevent anyone from placing the object in their workspace and assembling with it.

They can use ProductView for any sort of viewing or STEP,IGES creation.

[cid:image001.gif@01CDCE39.DB2BA220]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

It's not available in 9.1 but you could use the BOM Release rule in the change notice workflow to prevent the release of an assembly that uses a component at an obsolete life cycle state.

Thanks,
Patrick Williams

On Nov 29, 2012, at 5:00 PM, "Steve Vinyard" <-<<a style="COLOR:" blue;=" text-decoration:=" underline&quot;=" target="_BLANK" href="mailto:-">>">mailto:->> wrote:

This is interesting. I’m guessing you could remove the ability to “Download” and that would prevent anyone from placing the object in their workspace and assembling with it.

They can use ProductView for any sort of viewing or STEP,IGES creation.

<image001.gif>

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer
rpassolt
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

You could use a check in trigger that blocks the check in if something includes an obsolete object.We have customers doing this if drawings are using old drawing formats etc.

Rick Passolt

Fishbowl Solutions

... plus a trigger that prevents save-as for assemblies containing obsolete objects, removing them in the "retry" phase 😉

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:TomU)

So far all solutions posted are for after the assembly has been made and time spent constraining components.

There are some things that just must still be manual, like looking at the design state BEFORE that component is added is placed in an assembly. The automation to prevent check-in is a good stop, but time has been invested and is now lost. Preventing check-in would be more useful for a renamed assembly that someone forgot to change out a now obsolete component because it wasn’t on the original change order.

Preventing the downloading of an obsolete component is not a viable solution for a number of reasons.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Top Tags