cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Product Details vs Folders tab

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Product Details vs Folders tab

Beg to differ on this.
Would love a preference that allowed people to go to Details rather than Folders as their starting point in using a Product context.
[cid:image001.png@01CBF057.84E4F6D0]
4 REPLIES 4

I would agree as well. I can see plenty of people in the organization that would get more immediate value out of End Items or Attribute metadata on the Details page than the Folders page. In addition, saying that the Folder Browser has "more interesting information" is very subjective. It assumes the user prefers to browse folders for information rather than execute a search and further assumes that the user even has access to the folder objects.

John, good point. Browsing by folder works for maybe a few hundred objects but becomes totally unrealistic quickly. We train users to ALWAYS search.

Fully ½ of our users are not authoring anything. They use the info that exists in various ways. I just conducted an overview training session for several people in regulatory affairs; their starting point almost always will be the End Items table from the details page of a selected product.

Yes. Search is our preferred method as well (with strong PTC encouragement).

We too have many "non-authors". Some consume content objects, some consume metadata, and some initiate workflows (which may or may not have attached objects). The later two may not need or want folders. As a workflow example, someone may want to generate a Problem Report or Change Request, but they may have no idea what object to attach it to specifically. They will however have a good idea of the product context to which it belongs. The details page provides a perfect simple interface for these situations.

Somewhere there is a PLM or Windchill developer who fought to remove the folders page. Remember when searching was the only way. He is having the last laugh (I told you so).

Top Tags