cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Promotion Requests in Windchill

CR_9888056
8-Gravel

Promotion Requests in Windchill

Can you go back and revise a Promotion Request after it's been approved? I know you can reject and send it back for rework, but that's only before it's officially approved. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:CR_9888056)

Are these 'locked down' files in the Under Review state or a Released state?

If an Under Review state, delete the promotion request, make the changes and then create a new promotion request.

If a Released state, then the promotion request workflow is terminated and your only choice is revise to a new revision and re-promote or as an admin, make the changes which will only iterate the current revision.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

What value is there in revising a Promotion Request after it has been approved and the related objects have had their state changed?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Even if you modified the promotion request lifecycle to allow 'Revise', once the promotion request workflow process has finished, there is no way to restart it (without Java customization.)  The objects on the promotion request can certainly be revised again and then re-released using a new promotion request.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

I should also add that if something was inadvertently missed, it's easy enough for an administrator to set the objects (not the promotion request) back to 'In Work' so they can be corrected while still at the same revision level, but a new promotion request will still be required to release them again (unless the administrator manually sets them back to 'Released', but this isn't recommended since there is no approval chain.)

So essentially what's going on is that we use Promotion Requests to vault stuff (or lock them down without officially releasing them). I have some files in a Promotion Request that's already been vaulted (approved). I found some mistakes on them so I wanted to go back and revise the files, without changing the Revision Level or creating a new Promotion Request. Honestly, it's not a big deal if I have to do it, I was just wondering if there was another way. I guess I'm lazy that way. 🙂

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Are these 'locked down' files in the Under Review state or a Released state?

If an Under Review state, delete the promotion request, make the changes and then create a new promotion request.

If a Released state, then the promotion request workflow is terminated and your only choice is revise to a new revision and re-promote or as an admin, make the changes which will only iterate the current revision.

Hi @CR_9888056 

You can not revise object without changing the revision label.

So only one way is possible without changing revision: Use setstate to a diferent state for example inwork where user has access to modify,  do appropriate changes and then approve the object again. 

PetrH

Top Tags