cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Propagate access control changes to folder contents and subfolders recursively?

ScottMorris
17-Peridot

Propagate access control changes to folder contents and subfolders recursively?

I have a Project Access Control question for you to help determine if this is expected behavior, a defect or user error.

I did a cut/paste of folders and documents in a project from one branch of the folder hierarchy to another branch in the same project. The "moved" documents all retained their unique security settings (access control) from the source branch of the folder hierarchy. They did not inherit the security settings of the target folder.

Knowing this would be a problem, I changed the security settings on the target folder after the paste action to change all the content to the same access control. Even though I selected Propagate access to folder contents and Recursively apply to sub-folders, the pasted folders and documents were not changed!

I expected this work work like Windows or SharePoint permissions and update everything. Instead, it updated everything that was native to the branch of the folder hierarchy, not the new items with unique permissions.

In most cases, this is not a big issue, but I use this project for multiple groups and split their access to folders at the root level of the project. Each group has their own folder at the root level and only have view and edit access to their own folders. They cannot see or edit the other folders.

One group was consumed by the another and their data needed to be merged. Updating the team roles and groups was easy enough, but the data is another story. I expected the propagate and recursive options to change everything, regardless of their source like it would with other applications. No luck.

At this point, I am assuming this is a long time issue in WC since I can reproduce it in WC10.1-WC11.1. To me its a defect, but I'm curious what others think.

-Scott

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags