cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Publish AutoCAD file stored in Windchill as CAD Part

tchao
4-Participant

Publish AutoCAD file stored in Windchill as CAD Part

As most of our Organizations in 10.2 are using Creo 2.0 (some upgraded to Creo 3.0), we still have many 2D AutoCAD checked in as CAD Part or WTDocument data types.  There is a PTC document CS32402 that covers how to publish AutoCAD stored as WTDocument in Windchill, but I cannot find any document providing any solution to publish the AutoCAD file stored as CAD Part in WIndchill 10.x.

Has anyone have this similar need to publish the AutoCAD file that is stored as CAD part?  Are there any third party tool that can do this job?

9 REPLIES 9
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:tchao)

If the actual file type is .DWG then no conversion should be necessary to open with Creo View.  In that case I would try the steps listed in CS36856.  (Yes, I realize it was written for WTDocs.)

tchao
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

Yes, we are aware of this ability to open in Creo View; however, we do have a need for downstream consumers (i.e. external suppliers, Purchasing, etc) who need to open it in PDF format.  That is why we are looking into this publishing option.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

How did the AutoCAD files get stored as CAD Documents?  Was there some type of a AutoCAD workgroup manager at some point in the past or are these actually stored as some other CAD type (like Creo)?  The underlying type of CAD document will determine what CAD worker they get sent to for publishing.  What do you see listed for Authoring Application on the object's details page?

cad_doc.PNG

If AutoCAD, then the custom worker will probably work.  If some other CAD format, then I think you're going to have trouble...

tchao
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

We are using the WGM for AutoCAD.  The customized worker I can find for working with AutoCAD from PTC KB is when it is stored as WTDocument, not CAD document.  I hope to find someone here may have done this before.

10-20-2015 11-09-40 AM.jpg

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I could be wrong, but I don't think the worker cares whether the publish event came from a WT Document or a CAD Document.  Maybe follow CS32402 just far enough to define the worker and then see if a test batch file actually gets executed on the worker machine.

RenatShaimardan
5-Regular Member

Hi,

I have hack for import CAD documents,

We use WGM in Creo for import Autocad files, and after that change field in database Windchill (authoring Application) to ACAD - profit !

If you want I describe this process.

Please do, Renat

RenatShaimardan
5-Regular Member
(To:jhall2)

Sorry for waiting,

Steps for importing DWG as EPMDocument:

0. Set property in Creo for import dwg in Creo:

import_dwg1.png

1. Import dwg file in Creo Workspace

import_dwg2.png

import_dwg3.png

2. CheckIn to Windchill, and look:

import_dwg4.png

3. Open SQL studio and find file - SELECT * FROM EPMDocumentMaster WHERE CADName like ‘%.dwg’

import_dwg5.png

4. Update fields in table

UPDATE EPMDocumentMaster SET authoringApplication='ACAD' WHERE CADName like 'acad_test.dwg'

import_dwg6.png

5. Profit! After change authoringApplication you can recieve good preview.

import_dwg7.png

tchao
4-Participant

This is wonderful.  I will give it a try at our 10.2 Test System.

Top Tags