cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Publish Monitor - Home/Utilities vs. Org/Utilities

Ninjette
1-Newbie

Publish Monitor - Home/Utilities vs. Org/Utilities

The publish monitor from the Org/Utilities screen shows the number, name, version, context, and user, but the publish monitor in the Home/Utilities tab does not. We need that information (name, version, etc) to show up in the publish monitor on the Home/Utilities tab? Any suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12
shussaini
15-Moonstone
(To:Ninjette)

Which Version of Windchill are you using. I checked this on 9.1 M050 and it works fine

9.0 M030. It shows all of this information if I am logged in as wcadmin, but if I'm logged in with an org admin account or a regular user account it doesn't. I need my users (or a subset of them) to be able to see the values in those columns on their Home\Utilities screen. Do you see it if you're logged in with a regular user account?

shussaini
15-Moonstone

The Home Utlities--> link shows only the object's info checked in by that particular user which were sent for publishing. Infact, whatever changes like preferences which are available under Home--> Utilities will apply only to that particular user. Even an Org Admin will not able to see the object info in Publish monitor when he accesses the same from Home-->Utilities.But, if he wants to see the info for ALL objects (under that Org) which were sent for publishing he can view the same by launching the Publish Monitor from Org--> Utilities. Similarly, a Product Manager can see ALL product objects details by launching from Product--> Utilities.

So is there no way to grant permissions to objects via Access Control Rules to allow a user/group visibility of the data? Do you know?

shussaini
15-Moonstone

It is not an access control issue but, just the way it is suppose to be working. Two users who are members of the same product will not be able to see each other's object info. Only the Site/Org/Context Admins are supposed to be seeing ALL details and yes again not from Home-->Utilities. It(Home-->Utilities) is some kind of a view to show only the object info which were chked in by you

Thanks Syed. So... what do you do when you have a user that legitimately needs to see this information, but should not be utilizing the other utilities available to a Library Creator or a Product Manager? They just aren't able to see it?

shussaini
15-Moonstone

Check out the call here which talks about your issue.

Hope that helps

~Syed

Hi Syed,

I went to the link you provided and it gave me the following error:

Error: Call 5802479 is not customer viewable.

... ?

shussaini
15-Moonstone

I guess you will need membership access to the PTC site. Check with your Windchill Administrator if he can provide you.

Regards

~Syed

Well that's weird. I do have a membership. I submit tickets to PTC. I clicked your link, logged in, and it gives the error I posted. I tried it in Firefox and had the same issue.

shussaini
15-Moonstone

It was the design intent to prevent non-administrative users from viewing the potentially sensitive details of Publish Jobs that they do not own. The problem is, that when the Publish Job is created using a Workflow Expression Robot to call the doPublish method directly, the resulting Publish Job is owned by the Site Administrator; thus preventing the user that checked in the related Primary Business Object (CAD Document) from seeing the details of the related Publish Job. This is not a configurable behaviour.

One workaround would be to make the users Administrators of the particular context in question (Product or Library) but this is probably not something that one would want to consider doing, because they would then be able to see and delete all Publish Jobs for that specific context.

The other option would be to further customize the code of the Expression calling doPublish, to temporarily change the current user for the wt.session.sessionContext, to the user that updated the Workflow's Primary Business Object (PBO), i.e. the user that checked-in the CAD Document. This would align the behaviour with that of the event driven publishing that occurs at Check-in when publish.service.readytopublilsh.enabled=true in wvs.properties (i.e. the out-of-the-box configuration) and manually stimulated publishing.

Has anything changed here?

I am facing the same issue with 9.1 M060.

I would like to give certain users (profile) access to the view job details in Publish monitor.

But do not want to let them be a part of Adminitrators group, as i do not want them to have access to adminitrative tools where they might be able to change preferences for the whole site.

Top Tags