cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Publishing Visio files via Doc Worker - Fatal Signal 22 raised

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Publishing Visio files via Doc Worker - Fatal Signal 22 raised

Hitting a brick wall here so wondering if what PTC is recommending is my only solution. I have my doc worker setup as a service (worker daemon), logon as a system account. All office files publish fine except for Visio. You get the "doc2pv Fatal: Received signal 22, terminating" message. If I log into the CAD worker as myself and start the worker in foreground, it publishes Visio just fine.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS387941?source=search indicates you need to run the worker in foreground mode and refers to this article to setup:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS93677

Changing to allow interaction with desktop did not change things. Anything else I can try without resorting to the elaborate steps in CS93677? Has anyone gotten this to work in background? The notes on security issues are giving me pause.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, but you didn't hit a brick wall, you hit the Great Wall of China. I have had a case open for over a year and got as high as Bridget R. (Creo View Product Line Owner). They have punted my case to Microsoft (and by that I mean they want ME to open a case with Microsoft).

From my latest case info (recieved from PTC Thursday)

After discussing internally with the Product Management team at PTC, I have the conclusion and information on this matter.

After discussing internally with the Product Management team at PTC, I have the conclusion and information on this matter.

• Microsoft Visio is not under the purview of Creo View Adapters
  • The runtime requirements for Visio are defined by Microsoft instead of PTC, and as such PTC can only provide recommendations and best practices as well as test results
  • The QA team has tested Visio running in the foreground and determined it functions properly, which constitutes support for this functionality
  • Microsoft has actually investigated and confirmed themselves that the functionality requires foreground usage and the issue we are encountering is caused by this limitation

Thus, at this time unfortunately we do not have any pathways in the Creo View Adapters / PTC side to work around Microsoft’s decision to not allow Visio running in the background. For concerns regarding this we would have to direct you to contact Microsoft directly.

This is a frustrating case for me, because the documentation stated it worked - and suggested it be done with a service account. After months of being open, I was told in March they had a fix and the release of the fix was Creo View Adapters 10.0. I patiently waited, tested, still no go. Later found out that the "Fix" (and they didn't tell me specifics on the fix in March) was to update the documentation to say it was only supported in foreground mode....

I too have concerns about having an active user login session due to security.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sorry, but you didn't hit a brick wall, you hit the Great Wall of China. I have had a case open for over a year and got as high as Bridget R. (Creo View Product Line Owner). They have punted my case to Microsoft (and by that I mean they want ME to open a case with Microsoft).

From my latest case info (recieved from PTC Thursday)

• Microsoft Visio is not under the purview of Creo View Adapters
  • The runtime requirements for Visio are defined by Microsoft instead of PTC, and as such PTC can only provide recommendations and best practices as well as test results
  • The QA team has tested Visio running in the foreground and determined it functions properly, which constitutes support for this functionality
  • Microsoft has actually investigated and confirmed themselves that the functionality requires foreground usage and the issue we are encountering is caused by this limitation

Thus, at this time unfortunately we do not have any pathways in the Creo View Adapters / PTC side to work around Microsoft’s decision to not allow Visio running in the background. For concerns regarding this we would have to direct you to contact Microsoft directly.

This is a frustrating case for me, because the documentation stated it worked - and suggested it be done with a service account. After months of being open, I was told in March they had a fix and the release of the fix was Creo View Adapters 10.0. I patiently waited, tested, still no go. Later found out that the "Fix" (and they didn't tell me specifics on the fix in March) was to update the documentation to say it was only supported in foreground mode....

I too have concerns about having an active user login session due to security.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:jbailey)

Thanks for the background. Well, looks like I have two options. Kick off a batch publish which I am doing now weekly to publish any documents with Visio as the primary content while I have the worker running in foreground (manually started while I am logged in). There are not that many so it should be not a huge deal. Second would be create a custom worker that can overcome these deficiencies.  

I offered the custom worker solution as well (hoping PTC would do the heavy lifting) but they seem disinterested. There are some third party publishing solutions out there that publish Visio... Based on PTC's reply, I may have to go to my management and see about swapping out PTC licensing for third party licensing.

Top Tags