cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Question about range of functions of Windchill

lgüthle
1-Newbie

Question about range of functions of Windchill

Hello,

right now I do not have a installation of windchill, it depends on the range of functions Windchill provides and if they meet my requirements.

"As the central repository for all product-related information" (extracted from: PTC Windchill | Product Lifecycle Management | PTC‌), I wonder which product-related information Windchill does store. For example: If I am designing a 3D-model in PTC creo and want to store the geometric data from this model into Windchill.. is this possible?

Thank you very much!

regards

luis

6 REPLIES 6
GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite
(To:lgüthle)

Hi

yes , Creo CAD integration is one of the functions ...

Windchill is an Enterprise PLM.. not only a CAD repository tool ... lot of functions

multi CAD, Part, xBOMs (design, manufacturing, Service), process plans, Technical Publication authoring ... Change and config management, Workflow engine ... 3D mockup Viz ... supplier mgmt, etc ...

Hi Gregory PERASSO,

can you tell me more about the Creo integration?

Does it really allow to store geometric data from 3D-models, like "this line is 700mm long" ? or more of descriptive data like "you got one creo cad model over there, it was created on x, title x, ..."?

cc-2
6-Contributor

HI Luis

have you used a PDM in the past before ?

Your CREO file will be tightly integrated into PDMLink. ie you will see

who created it and when

how often it has been iterated/modified

relationship with other objects (ie other CAD such as components and assemblies, but also change, promotion, workflow items, discussions, vizualation file)

If you have some key parameters in your model, they can be automatically be mapped into PDMLink, so for instance if you have Length = 20, you can have this information available in PDMLink without doing anything. The check in process will take care of this for you.

Does that help ?

Maybe you need to ask a reseller for a demonstration ?

Best regards

lgüthle
1-Newbie
(To:cc-2)

Hi Chris

If you have some key parameters in your model, they can be automatically be mapped into PDMLink, so for instance if you have Length = 20, you can have this information available in PDMLink without doing anything.

This sounds exactly like what I am looking for Thanks!

no, I haven't used any PDM before. It seems to be a powerful tool to administrate your products over lifetime.

The company I am working does have a variety of Tools and Software along the product lifecycle... right now we are looking to improve a small process of extracting those geometric data and continue to work with them... maybe its worth a second look to redefine the whole production process

regards

Luis,

Check out the Windchill product page, PTC Windchill | Product Lifecycle Management | PTC

Watch some of the videos, particularly the one on this page: PTC Windchill PDMLink | PTC

PTC regularly does demo's. Check out the calendar; PTC Event Calendar

cc-2
6-Contributor

Hi Luis

I am glad my comment has been useful.

There are different degree of managing product data and how much investment you want to put (time, money, training, business process re-engineering etc....) Regardless of the system, there will be some foundation. eg define what parameters matters to your company. Is that length, or max length and min length etc...

Creo and PDMLink are very flexible in the sense that you can pretty much manage everything related to product and document management.

Of course your legacy matters too.

I am more than happy to continue discussion but I think the best efficient approach is to get a PTC VAR/Reseller local to your place to come and visit you. He will be able to explain more in details with demonstration etc... what PDMLink and Creo can do (eg automate creation of product variants) and also you will be able to explain all the issues you have.

Good luck with your journey.... Many of us started like you and seen the results is very rewarding.

Top Tags