cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Question re 'guest' role and CAD users in 10.1

SimonLucas
1-Newbie

Question re 'guest' role and CAD users in 10.1

HI,

we have recently upgraded from 9.1 to 10.1 and are seeing what we believe is 'incorrect' behaviour for users in the 'guest' role on products.

We use the 'guest' role to allow users read and download access to products they are not actively working on, and also libraries for standard parts and CAD templates. In 9.1 this worked a treat and users had the 'add to workspace' action available in such pruducts and libraries, so they could easily add standard parts to their workspace for use in their designs.

However since upgrading to 10.1 we have noticed that users no longer have the 'add to workspace' action available in the libraries or products where they only have access via the 'guest' role. The odd thing is they do have 'permission' to add the objects to workspace as if you select the 'open in cad' action, then the objects are indeed added to your workspace and opened in the CAD tool.

PTC are telling us this is intended functionality and our best option is to generate a new role with the relevant permissions which must include 'modify' to activate the 'add to workspace' action. Surely this would mean that users do not have 'read-only' access? Or would you also need 'modify content' to actually modify the CAD files?. If this is intended functionality then it seems like 'regression'.

Has anybody else seen this same bahaviour?

Simon Lucas

4 REPLIES 4

Not my experience at all. Here is a snapshot of our Guest (role) policy:

[cid:image001.png@01CF1291.B8DB2040]

For me it works in 10.1 exactly as you describe it working in 9.1.

Did you check if the Guest role is listed in the Team for that context? Also, are the correct groups (or principals) listed in the Guest role for the relevant context?

On 01/16/14 03:31, Simon Lucas wrote:
>
> HI,
>
> we have recently upgraded from 9.1 to 10.1 and are seeing what we believe is 'incorrect' behaviour
> for users in the 'guest' role on products.
>
> We use the 'guest' role to allow users read and download access to products they are not actively
> working on, and also libraries for standard parts and CAD templates. In 9.1 this worked a treat
> and users had the 'add to workspace' action available in such pruducts and libraries, so they
> could easily add standard parts to their workspace for use in their designs.
>
> However since upgrading to 10.1 we have noticed that users no longer have the 'add to workspace'
> action available in the libraries or products where they only have access via the 'guest' role.
> The odd thing is they do have 'permission' to add the objects to workspace as if you select the
> 'open in cad' action, then the objects are indeed added to your workspace and opened in the CAD tool.
>
> PTC are telling us this is intended functionality and our best option is to generate a new role
> with the relevant permissions which must include 'modify' to activate the 'add to workspace'
> action. Surely this would mean that users do not have 'read-only' access? Or would you also need
> 'modify content' to actually modify the CAD files?. If this is intended functionality then it
> seems like 'regression'.
>
> Has anybody else seen this same bahaviour?
>

I am really glad you posted this because this is something I had not thought of to check on my 10.2
M010 test system. After checking I am seeing the same behaviour as you are in that "guest" users no
longer have the "Add to Workspace" action. I just opened a call with PTC.

> *Simon Lucas*
>
>
>
>
> -----End Original Message-----

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon,
You can add it back in. Check out

Since learning about how the Guest role functions back in Windchill 8 and testing it quite a bit I've had reservations. We decided to set the preference to hide it everywhere and have not used it ever in production.
Top Tags