cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

RE : Intralink deadline

ptc-292750
1-Newbie

RE : Intralink deadline

Hello,

Where can i find this information?
I need it for my direction.

Patrice Freytet

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Turner Ian M. [
5 REPLIES 5

Another question,

why migrating to pdmlink and not to Intralink 9.1?

Patrice Freytet

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Steffke, Mark [

Answers to your two questions:

What are you doing?:

We are in the process of deciding whether to stay with Pro/INTRALINK or migrate. The conversion process can be very expensive, and in this economy.... Well, we are all in this economy so the correct technical solution may not be the determining factor in the final decision on migration for our company.

Assuming we are migrating, the next thing is to determine if WC/INTRALNK or PDMLink will fit our needs. That involves determining what your needs are and putting together a cost/benefit analysis.

If a Windchill technical solution does not fit our needs, or if the ROI is not there, then looking at third party solutions would be in order.

Why INTRALNK 9.1 vs PDMLink 9.1?:

WC/INTRALINK is a defeatured version of PDMLink. So the first thing is to determine if you really need those extra features.

Another consideration for going to WC/INTRALINK vs PDMLINK is licensing. First, is the licensing that you client uses. WC/INTRALINK is "concurrent user" licensed, just as a floating copy of Pro/E. PDMLink is named user licensed. Depending on your mix of users (everyday vs occasional), this could drastically change your cost model. Next is Oracle licensing. Most Pro/INTRALINK licenses were purchased with a bundled Oracle. My understanding is that this model carries through to Windchill. So, if you go to PDMLink, you will be required to purchase Oracle (or Sql-server). With WC/INTRALINK this may not be the case.

I put "concurrent user" for WC/INTRALINK in quotes, as there is no enforcement mechanism. In the PTC/User Technical committees, we have addressed this with PTC, but I am not aware of a resolution. The PTC Customer agreement I got off the web reads "the number of permitted users accessing or operating a concurrent user product at any point in time may not exceed the number of licenses in effect at such time for that particular licensed product". PTC needs to alter the agreement, or provide a technical solution to this issue. If they do not, I cannot assure our management that we will not be in contract violation.

Could be 9.1 too. I need help from my VAR figuring out whats best for us.

Mark Steffke
Engineering System Administrator
The Delfield Company
Manitowoc Foodservice
T 989.775.9215
Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence

Any reason why you guys aren't looking at Product Point from PTC? Their 2.0 release seems almost as powerful and inexpensive to operate as Intralink 3.4. We're planning to migrate to it in July 2010.

PTC is planning to make an announcement soon about 3.4 support.

Barry Schaeffer

Fluke

Everett, WA

I have only done a cursory look at Product Point.

If you are using INTRALINK for a vaulting tool, then Product Point might be a good solution. I don't believe Product Point will handle workflows of any kind. I believe it will manage the Pro/ENGINEER structure, but not manage the promotion process....

I would like to see a chart showing Pro/INTRALINK, Product Point, WC/INTRALINK and PDMLink to see where the gaps in functionality lie....

Top Tags