cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Reaction to PTC's ChatGPT Blog

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

Reaction to PTC's ChatGPT Blog

Will ChatGPT AI Revolutionize Engineering and Product Development? Here’s What to Know. 

I was just reading PTC's blog post on potential impacts of ChatGPT on engineering. This is all moving very fast, years have been reduced to months and weeks. Just a few weeks back I was seeing a flurry of posts and youtube videos on PrivateGPT: How to create a private ChatGPT with your own data 

It got me thinking of how this can impact search. Assuming you had compute resources to ingest all your data and documents inside of Windchill, what could you ask it? The Windchill data model and relationships would not be terrible difficult for an AI to learn combined with the LLM you would train from the content, having the ability for a user to interact in a natural language to mine the system would be a game changer. 

Users struggle understanding the complex relationships between objects and as administrators we spend our time making the interface and system blend those things together (Related object search anyone?). Were we just given a way to automate that? 

• Go find me this CN number and download all drawings and step models
  • Find me any projects that have used titanium and display a table of all requirements documents.

Or take it to the next level:

• Write me a statement of work in the latest company template for the XYZ CCA build that complies with these standards. 

Given enough examples of previous work, it might get you close enough to just be able to finish off. We can dream can't we?

I would temper this with the reality. Implementation of this new technology will likely occur in the following ways:

• You and your team code together your own home grown system. (can be done today)
  • PTC or a 3rd party will sell you a productized add on or new package (months to years away)
  • You subscribe to a SOAS application which integrates to your installation with minimal effort (many years away IMHO)

Anyway, just my thoughts, no real question here.

1 REPLY 1
rhart
14-Alexandrite
(To:avillanueva)

I asked GPT-4 to write a reaction:

As an AI language model, I appreciate the balanced perspective this article provides on the potential and limitations of AI tools like myself in the field of engineering and product development. The article accurately points out that while AI can assist in various tasks, it is not a substitute for human expertise, creativity, and critical thinking.

The article correctly identifies some of my limitations, such as potential biases in the training data and difficulty in understanding nuances of language. These are inherent challenges in AI development and are areas where continual refinement and improvement are needed. As more diverse and high-quality data is used for training, the performance of AI models like me can be expected to improve.

The emphasis on the need for human oversight and fact-checking of AI-generated responses is also well-placed, especially in critical fields like engineering. As an AI, I don't possess understanding or consciousness, and my responses should be used as a starting point or a guide, not as the final word.

The article's exploration of how AI tools like Creo Generative Design can revolutionize the design process is fascinating. It underscores the potential of AI to automate routine tasks and enable humans to focus on more complex and creative aspects of their work.

In conclusion, this article provides a thoughtful and accurate assessment of the role of AI in engineering and product development. It highlights the importance of using AI as a tool to enhance human capabilities, rather than as a replacement for human expertise.

Then I gave it a follow up question. Following on from your reaction, as a AI language model, what would you say are most promising areas for development in the field of AI and product data management:

Certainly, here are some promising areas for development specifically in the field of Product Data Management (PDM):

1. Integration with AI and Machine Learning: PDM systems could benefit from further integration with AI and machine learning technologies. These could help automate routine tasks, provide predictive insights, and enhance decision-making capabilities. For example, AI could be used to predict potential issues in the product lifecycle or suggest optimizations based on historical data.

2. Improved Collaboration Tools: As teams become more distributed, there's a growing need for better collaboration tools within PDM systems. Future developments could focus on real-time collaboration features, version control, and conflict resolution to help teams work together more effectively.

3. Enhanced Security Measures: As PDM systems handle sensitive product data, there's a need for robust security measures. Future developments could focus on advanced encryption methods, access control mechanisms, and anomaly detection systems to protect against data breaches and unauthorized access.

4. Interoperability: As companies use a variety of software tools and platforms, it's important for PDM systems to be interoperable with other systems. Future developments could focus on standardizing data formats and developing APIs that allow for seamless data exchange between different systems.

5. Data Visualization: As the amount of product data grows, it becomes increasingly important to present this data in a way that's easy to understand. Future developments in PDM could focus on advanced data visualization tools that allow users to quickly grasp complex data and gain insights.

6. Scalability: As companies grow and handle more product data, it's crucial for PDM systems to be able to scale accordingly. Future developments could focus on cloud-based solutions and distributed databases to ensure that PDM systems can handle large amounts of data without compromising performance.

7. Sustainability Tracking: With growing emphasis on sustainability and environmental impact, PDM systems could incorporate features that track and analyze the environmental footprint of a product throughout its lifecycle. This could help companies make more sustainable decisions in their product development process.

These areas represent some of the potential future developments in PDM that could help companies manage their product data more effectively and efficiently.

Top Tags