cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Read Only object and assembly saving problems

RobertBalkevitc
1-Newbie

Read Only object and assembly saving problems

With Windchill, When ever i set lower level items to Lock or Read Only, My top level assembly that i am trying to save will not save. The only thing i can think to do is to let everything save( down levels that regen, instances and what not), then go update the down level items before i can check in my top level.

7 REPLIES 7

PDMLink works a little differently than Intralink did.

Here is what works for us for similar situations. When the top level assembly is saved, all the other stuff that Pro/E thinks is changed will pop-up with an option to check them all out - instead of checking them out, change the option to "continue" for the objects that were not intentionaly changed. This will make the objects as "modified but not eligable for upload" in the workspace. When the assembly is uploaded or checked in, PDMLink will ignore the objects that are not elligable. The modified objects do not need to be added back to the workspace as was previously required in Intralink.

In PDMLink, objects have a default "view only" status unless they are specifically checked out.

In Reply to Robert Balkevitch:

With Windchill, When ever i set lower level items to Lock or Read Only, My top level assembly that i am trying to save will not save. The only thing i can think to do is to let everything save( down levels that regen, instances and what not), then go update the down level items before i can check in my top level.

Rob - something doesn't seem to be working right.

You should absolutely be able to mark ALL lower level objects as Read Only and then save the top level - in fact this is what I preach religiously as it saves SO MUCH downstream confusion, pain, yelling, etc

I have found the "continue" capability causes a LOT of issues and confuses people, causes them to lose work, overwrite work, etc, for precisely the reason Gordon mentions, it still marks all that stuff as modified, why not fix the problem up front by marking

The only time I would recommend using "continue" is if you are truly just playing around, i.e. it's a released object and you don't want to rev so that you can play with some tweaks, etc.

Have you tried hitting save again? I have seen times when the assembly says its not saved due to those parts but then hit save again and it saves it fine.

Kevin is absolutely correct you really don't want to pick continue. Below is the first page of a presentation one of our users gave a few years ago after we first went to PDMLink. The stupid thing is, if you pick to make those items read only, the save will fail, but the items will be converted to read only. You then have to do a save again and then it will save.

[cid:image001.jpg@01CCB40D.1F3010C0]

David Haigh

Agreed - this is again why I religiously preach to folks to do the Read Only AS SOON AS THE DATA HITS THE WORKSPACE.

Original poster is correct, it will fail to save IF you have to select Continue or Read Only FROM the Pro/E dialog box.

However, if you simply mark everything (except for top level asm) Read Only as soon as you do the Add to Workspace or Checkout you will be golden . . . .

I'm talking about using the File > Lock command from the Workspace browser - it will save your life!

Kevin,

Resurrecting an old thread, but is there a way to set everything as "locked / read-only" as a default behavior when doing an add to workspace? We had Intralink 3.X set that way - users had to remove the read only andlock the file(s) to their user nameas the first step before proceeding with modifications. We're running into similar issues as originally described in this thread and would like to set all files as "Locked" upon adding to the workspace, requiring the users to specifically unlock the files they want to modify.

Windchill PDMLink10 M030

Erik

Windchill PDMLink 10.1 has this capability (per a post on PlanetPTC from a PTC employee).

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1425

Erik

Top Tags