cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Reassign life cycles - by batch.

ptc-457507
1-Newbie

Reassign life cycles - by batch.

Hi All,

Does anybody know if it's possible to "reassign lifecycle" by batches rather
than 1 object at a time ?

I have set rights to allow role "approvers" to be able "Set state".
Unfortunately "Set state" is not possible on pre-migrated data.

To be able to set state on pre-migrated data I need to go in as orgadmin and
"reassign lifecycle" to the current. As I can only "Reassign lifecycle" on
1 object at a time it defeats the purpose, I am as well doing the "set
state".

Thanks in advance for any replies.

7 REPLIES 7

I am not sure if there is OOTB way to do it. However one can write a simple
utility with the following supported lifecycle helper api.

*wt.lifecycle.LifeCycleHelper.service.reassign*

Regards,
Prathap <">http://www.linkedin.com/in/prathapyalavarthi>

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Jamie Leonard
<jleonard@dundee.tokheim.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>
>
> Does anybody know if it’s possible to “reassign lifecycle” by batches
> rather than 1 object at a time ?
>
>
>
> I have set rights to allow role “approvers” to be able “Set state”.
> Unfortunately “Set state” is not possible on pre-migrated data.
>
>
>
> To be able to set state on pre-migrated data I need to go in as orgadmin
> and “reassign lifecycle” to the current. As I can only “Reassign lifecycle”
> on 1 object at a time it defeats the purpose, I am as well doing the “set
> state”.
>
>
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies…
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

In 8.0 there was a utility available from Tech Support that could do
this by context and object type, but it doesn't work in 9.0... Smiley Sad

They may have an upgraded version, but I haven't checked.

Steve D.

Quoting Prathap <->:

> I am not sure if there is OOTB way to do it. However one can write a simple
> utility with the following supported lifecycle helper api.
>
> *wt.lifecycle.LifeCycleHelper.service.reassign*
>
> Regards,
> Prathap <">http://www.linkedin.com/in/prathapyalavarthi>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Jamie Leonard
> <jleonard@dundee.tokheim.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>
>>
>> Does anybody know if it?s possible to ?reassign lifecycle? by batches
>> rather than 1 object at a time ?
>>
>>
>>
>> I have set rights to allow role ?approvers? to be able ?Set state?.
>> Unfortunately ?Set state? is not possible on pre-migrated data.
>>
>>
>>
>> To be able to set state on pre-migrated data I need to go in as orgadmin
>> and ?reassign lifecycle? to the current. As I can only ?Reassign lifecycle?
>> on 1 object at a time it defeats the purpose, I am as well doing the ?set
>> state?.
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any replies?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

One way is to generate a search that includes multiple items and then select all items and "Reassign Lifecycle" from this page. It is tedious, but if you can broaden your search to include all the necessary items, without having to wait forever, it can be handy. However, you will not be able to make changes on anything checked out by a user.

Sean Sullivan

Velcon Filters LLC

CAD Administrator / Product Development Engineer

sdertien
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-457507)

Jamie,

I just finished writing this utility for another customer. I'll provide it to you in a private email. It should do everything you're looking for in a nice bulk fashion. You can modify the code as you see fit for your own needs. It will let you select the current lifecycle template, a target container and a object type, from there it will search and find all the objects that match those characteristics and it will then reassign the lifecycle template to the latest iteration of a template that you choose. I tested it last night on 20k parts and it only took 45 seconds to do all the reassignments. Probably a lot faster than some of your other alternatives.

Best Regards,
Steve

Steve, is there any place where this kind of solution is made available to the whole group? If so, is it possible for us to submit our own solutions to such a site?

-Thomas Busch

sdertien
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-457507)

Thomas,

I offered up the solution to everyone directly that asked so that I could pass along the terms of support. Basically with the tool I wrote everyone that received it acknowledged that they received it as custom code that they're responsible for. PTC Tech Support would certainly help with the tool as a customization type of call, but they wouldn't treat it as an OOTB issue as far as bugs go. And that's technically where most of the issues comes up with this topic.

There certainly can be ways for the community at large to create a PTCForge style library of components. Since many components built from one developer at Company A to the next developer from Company B are potentially overlapping there are some potential conflicts that would need to be managed and evaluated from one company to the next. As far as support goes, it would need to be something that was community driven as well since it would be very challenging for PTC to manage not only our normal release streams but any custom code support would be particularly challenging.

I believe it would be a worthwhile discussion with PTC Product Management. As a community driven activity it's possibly worth the discussion with the PTC/User board on how much support (primarily hosting) they would want to manage to allow the user community the ability to share their contributions. I can certainly ask around and see what some of our own internal intentions are with some of these ideas.

Regards,
Steve

Steve,

In the process of migratingfrom 8.0 to 9.1, I know all my process are going to fail unless I can switch objects to the latest iteration of their lifecycles. Is it possible for you to send me the utility you were talking about in this post ?

TIA,

Vincent Quesnoit

In Reply to Steve Dertien:

Jamie,

I just finished writing this utility for another customer. I'll provide it to you in a private email. It should do everything you're looking for in a nice bulk fashion. You can modify the code as you see fit for your own needs. It will let you select the current lifecycle template, a target container and a object type, from there it will search and find all the objects that match those characteristics and it will then reassign the lifecycle template to the latest iteration of a template that you choose. I tested it last night on 20k parts and it only took 45 seconds to do all the reassignments. Probably a lot faster than some of your other alternatives.

Best Regards,
Steve

Top Tags