cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Reconcile Design and Manufacturing BOM

jdevitt
2-Guest

Reconcile Design and Manufacturing BOM

Is there a good way to 'reconcile' the design BOM and the Manufacturing BOM in Windchill PDMLink? The senario is: A designer makes a new design with new structural components, but the hardware (nuts and bolts) is the same as another. Our MBOM will have the hardware 'boxed' for shipping. The MBOM creator pulls in an existing hardware box part with some hardware in it. Is there a way to 'subtract' the hardware contained in the box from the BOM so the creator can see if it correctly fullfills the need?

The current product structure explorer functionality (we are on 9.1) seems to have good processes for making all new structures where you will drag components into new levels and create new parts for them, but I get lost on how to manage pulling in existing parts and ensuring the underlying components get accounted for. We like to reuse as many production SKUs as possible to minimize inventory control issues and WIP in distribution.

Maybe I am out in left field on this...do any of you run into this senario and manage it well?

Jon

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Jon,

We do provide a Multi-Level BOM compare solution that has been used by
various companies to compare BOMs with different configurations. It clearly
shows the difference between two BOMs even at the attribute level.

Here is the link to the solution

I'm told the BOM compare functionality in Windchill 10 is excellent. You can even compare the BOM to the CAD structure

[cid:image001.gif@01CBF5CB.0228DDF0]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer
ks-2
4-Participant
(To:jdevitt)

Hi you are using MPMLink for mBOm creation, you will get the BOM reconcile
report in MPMLink. And Windchill 10 BOM-BOM report is really very good.

Kumarappan.S

We are not currently using MPMLink. It seems pulling a common 'phantom' or other manufactuing module into a manufacturing view of a structure and deducting the components out of the BOM might be a common task. At least a good way of comparing the Design and Manufacturing views to ensure the total multilevel summary compares would be very benefitial. If 10 has it, I will wait patiently for the upgrade.

Thanks for the information, Jon

I've heard that WC 10 has a greatly improved Bom Compare utility that highlights changes etc. You can even compare CAD BOM to a WTPart structure

[cid:image001.gif@01CBF909.99733FC0]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer
Top Tags