Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Instances from Family Tables that are in Windchill

Moonstone

Removing Instances from Family Tables that are in Windchill

Family Tables are a headache with Windchill. One many of many issues is it's very easy for Creo users to remove Instances from Family Table by simply hitting Delete Row inside of Creo but this can create undesirable scenarios if the objects are already in Windchill. Since the Deleted Instance is now longer attached to the latest Generic model, if a previous Assembly in Windchill used the Deleted Instance, you are unable to update to the latest Generic rev in a workspace. You're stuck with out of date objects in your workspace. However Creo lets you delete instances without telling you that could be bad for Windchill. Our 'standard' has been to tell users not to delete instances from Family Tables once they're in Windchill and simply filter the undesirable instances off the drawing. New users have a habit of finding out the hard way that they shouldn't delete instances. I was curious what other people do... Not worry about it? Found a way to prevent users from deleting instances from Creo? Found any easy fix to get the Creo/Windchill instances associated back together with the generic?

Delete Instances.jpg

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Removing Instances from Family Tables that are in Windchill

Limit family tables to library type of parts (nuts, bolts, screws, washers), put the files in the Part Library and have a librarian who you trust to know how to treat family tables.

Make Library objects come into user workspaces as read-only parts.

Do NOT let all users have access to edit family tables.

NEVER delete a line from a family table that FT has been used.

can be done - but nothing is more fraught with peril

I would love to do that but our company sold our souls to family tables decades ago. We use Family Tables for virtually everything.

What is your change rate on family tables? How frequently do they get modified?

Training issue!!! Teach the users that they can create family tables and add to an existing family table but NEVER delete from one.

Have good backups so you can always restore to a previous iteration.

Ben, how do you prevent users from having access to edit family tables? Obviously, if they don't have access to edit the CAD then they wouldn't be able to edit the family table. But nothing would really stop them from making their own family news on new parts they do have access to?

I agree. It's probably a training issue but it's hard to enforce but even more annoying to try to undo. The most common thing is to add new parts to a family table which is fine but occasionally users obsolete (stop using in Production) or kill parts that never made it to Production which people think that means delete them from the Family Table.

I prevent it here by putting our hardware family tables in the Part Library and set a config option that any files loaded from the library are read-only. Works for family tables and single files.

Nothing can prevent users from doing 1D10T errors!!! They can do a save-as and rename all of the existing instances, but intuition should tell them that they should not do that.

If your files are fairly static, move them to the Part Library and that should reduce the problems as they now have to think "If this file is read-only, should I be changing it?"

Just because a part is no longer used in production or has been obsoleted does that make the past uses of an instance mean it can be removed.

If a part must be noted as being no longer eligible for future designs, rename the part with a something to indicate that. I rename parts and change the name to 'OBS <old part number>/USE <new part number>'. A regenerated drawing will show that in the BOM table and that flags the designer to replace the part in their assembly.

I prevent it here by putting our hardware family tables in the Part Library and set a config option that any files loaded from the library are read-only. Works for family tables and single files.

So this can be controlled on a context basis?  What is the config option?

Announcements

Thingworx Navigate content has a new home! Click here to access the new Thingworx Navigate forum! ______________________________ Check out the Windchill Tips Board! We're talking about Whirlpool's use of digital twin, augmented reality, and data-driven design!

The NAVIGATE WORKING GROUP is here! Come innovate with PTC!