Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Instances from Family Tables that are in Windchill

Re: Removing Instances from Family Tables that are in Windchill

If the instance is already been deleted then you may have to go back to the previous version of the generic by deleting the latest set of family table to the iteration where the deleted instance is still part of the family table. Then you will have to follow the above steps to make it standalone.

But its not always easy to do this unless there is no complex references of the other instances.

Agree.

This is the same procedure that we too follow to make the existing/new parts as instance to another existing part.

And we have also trained our designers on this procedure.

But we can't restrict them from creating family for assemblies since this is widely used practice across different products and teams, so we frequently face issues when there is a need to remove or add instance and designers don't follow the right procedure, which sometimes makes it impossible to fix the issue due to references to released drawings or assemblies.

I think I'm at the very difficult (but maybe not impossible) level of fixing the deleted instance. The deleted instance(s) are used in several assemblies as well as the objects are at a 'Released' state. One option could be setting the family table back to an 'Unreleased' state, open the new generic in session, delete the bad revision/iterations from Windchill, and then add the instance(s) manually back into the family table. This way I'll make sure not to undo the users changes. Once I had it reattached, I could consider separating the instance(s) out from the generic if desired. This would be a lot of work from something to takes 1 second for the user to incidentally do.

Announcements

Thingworx Navigate content has a new home! Click here to access the new Thingworx Navigate forum! ______________________________ Check out the Windchill Tips Board! We're talking about Whirlpool's use of digital twin, augmented reality, and data-driven design!

The NAVIGATE WORKING GROUP is here! Come innovate with PTC!