cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Renaming CAD files in different products

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Renaming CAD files in different products

I have multiple products in my Windchill 11.1 M020 CPS20 system. In one product, the designers can rename CAD files and change the Name, Number and File Name with no issues. in a new product added after we upgraded to Windchill 11.1, they cannot rename files. I have checked the ACL lists and they are identical between the 2 products. What else can cause the rename File Name and Number fields to be greyed out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

PTC Tech support showed me where I was looking at the wrong participant listing. I thought it was the Designer role, but it was actually the Member role that needed updating by adding the Modify Identity ACL permission to the EPM Document, Document and Part object types at the Design state. I will have to do some more checking to be sure that my other states and roles are in agreement.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

i have a couple of thought provoking questions

1. are items in both containers created from the same lifecycle template?
  2. are items at an unlocked state?
  3. are users in each container in the same roles?
  4. have the actions been configured on the teams page to turn things on/off?
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ScottMorris)

Answers to Scott:

1. A part in both products shows they are using the same Lifecycle. I did have an issue initially where some files in the new product were created with a different lifecycle, but we pulled all of those files out of Windchill, deleted them and put them back in with the proper lifecycle. The file that we are playing with and discovered it could not be renamed was not one of those, it was created with the right lifecycle.

2. They are not locked, the users do not use locks on files here nor have I showed them how to lock a file.

3. The ACL assigned roles are coming from group assignments, so they are in the same roles in both products.

4. No actions disabling any functions have been applied to the system.

As wcadmin, I can rename files in both products, just those in the Designers role cannot.

jvonzastrow1
14-Alexandrite

Are the files in same state - ex in Work? 
Also look at history. Normal users should only be able to rename ( modify identify) when all versions are in first state ex In Work. 

for #2, i meant the same as @jvonzastrow1 pointed out. are the files in the same lifecycle state, allowing changes?

some other items to consider...

1. have any of the folder level permissions been changed?
  2. does the container role enable Modify permission via ACL?
  3. container ACL do not have any absolute deny enabled?
  4. container ACL do not conflict with org ACL?

what is the error message received when attempting to rename a file and where is the rename being executed (creo, workspace or commonspace)?

i don't think any of these items are a silver bullet, but i'm hoping one of them will spark a new idea to consider. i know how frustrating it can be when you're sure things are the same but things act differently. there's gotta be a needle in the haystack somewhere...

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The files have been checked into the commonspace and are at the initial Design state, version A.1. We are trying to rename them in commonspace. I did check ACL permissions on the object (EPMdocument and Part) at Design state and the users have Modify rights. I have checked the context template and the folder ACLs and they match for both products. There are no absolute Deny settings, All are either Grant or None.

There is no error message, just the fields for File Name and Number are greyed out so the user cannot rename them. They can rename the Name field.

still diggin, this puzzle is intriguing

• no pending change objects against these files?
  • can the creator rename the files or only admin?
  • no one accidentally in Guest role?
  • does the same thing happen for parts or docs?
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

We don't do change objects so nothing is holding the files hostage.

I have not asked the creator of this file if he can, it was another user that tried. I do another user tried to rename same of his own files and they also had the fields grayed out. As admin, I can rename the files with all fields available.

No Guest role in this product context. The other Products do have a Guest role, but it is limited to Read and Download.

This is a Creo part file that is having the fields grayed out. I have not tried a document, but those are in the Library and not in the Product contexts. We have been able to rename documents in the past, pre-upgrade to 11.1, but I don't think I have tried one since the upgrade.

rhart
14-Alexandrite

Perhaps some Ad-hoc permission in the life-cycle template is causing a conflict?

Not sure what that would be though and it's not easy to see which version of an LC template a particular object is using.

Ad-hoc.png

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I
(To:rhart)

You can use this report to verify the version of LC in use for your CAD documents

Marco
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:rhart)

Lifecycle was last modified in June 2020, everything new would be using the same lifecycle.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

PTC Tech support showed me where I was looking at the wrong participant listing. I thought it was the Designer role, but it was actually the Member role that needed updating by adding the Modify Identity ACL permission to the EPM Document, Document and Part object types at the Design state. I will have to do some more checking to be sure that my other states and roles are in agreement.

Merry Christmas!

Glad you got this one resolved before the holidays 🎅

Top Tags