cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Report Manager: How to write a WTPart Where Used Report

iwebb
2-Guest

Report Manager: How to write a WTPart Where Used Report

I need to be able to do a single level 'Where Used' on all the WTParts in a Library (there are 1000's)

I guess writing a report is the way to do this (I am open to other suggestions...)

But I have no idea where to start, and cannot find an example to work from...

I am using Windchill 10.1.

Anyone help please ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:iwebb)

Below is the general approach needed for this sort of thing - although you quickly find that query builder doesn't work well yet with structures.

The challenge on this one is feeding the list of Parts in the Library into the report. Probably have to do in two phases: a) Get all the Parts in that Library as a list, and arrange as comma-separated b) Feed that list into the Report, using "IN" for the part Number criteria (of the Child part). note: Without an outer join, any Parts which are not used will not be included in the output. May or may not want this.

tricky but good stuff

I've spent a zillion hours on getting query builder reports to do magic - there seems to be absolutely nothing beyond the very fundamentals ever published by PTC on it. The tutorial is fine, but only gets you thru "preschool" level for such - after going thru it you're only prepared for the absolute most basic reports.

Types.png

joins.png

select.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jzupfer
1-Newbie

Hello Ian,

I don't have any alternative suggestions regarding the information you want to generate, but I'm responding to refer you to the Query Builder tutorial available in the Windchill Help Center; it provides a step-by-step procedure for building a report. If you haven't seen this tutorial, you may find it helpful:

http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc101_hc/index.jspx?id=QBTutorialRef&action=show

(The Query Builder help and tutorial are also available when you click the help link on the Query Builder dialog that is presented when you select Report Management from the Site utilities page.)

If you have any feedback regarding this documentation, I'd appreciate your input!

Jane

Jane Zupfer
VP, Enterprise Products Publications
T 763.957.8299 E -

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Below is the general approach needed for this sort of thing - although you quickly find that query builder doesn't work well yet with structures.

The challenge on this one is feeding the list of Parts in the Library into the report. Probably have to do in two phases: a) Get all the Parts in that Library as a list, and arrange as comma-separated b) Feed that list into the Report, using "IN" for the part Number criteria (of the Child part). note: Without an outer join, any Parts which are not used will not be included in the output. May or may not want this.

tricky but good stuff

I've spent a zillion hours on getting query builder reports to do magic - there seems to be absolutely nothing beyond the very fundamentals ever published by PTC on it. The tutorial is fine, but only gets you thru "preschool" level for such - after going thru it you're only prepared for the absolute most basic reports.

Types.png

joins.png

select.png

vkadu
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeLockwood)

Please refer to the below link of an article for listing the Where Used for an EPM Document in Windchill PDMLink 10.1
https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS103435

Top Tags