cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Requesting Input - CAD Driven BoM

RahulK
1-Newbie

Requesting Input - CAD Driven BoM

All,

We are planning to move from Pro/I 3.4 and Windchill 8 environment to a single PLM environment (most likely Windchill 10). We are also considering to implement CAD driven BoM concept. The idea is that a CAD model gets create in Pro/E and then upon check the corresponding bom gets published in Windchill. On paper the concept looks really good. It can basically eliminate / reduce redundant task of creating engineering bill of material.

Has your company tried to implement this concept ? If yes, what all did it take to make it a success? If you have considered but have decided not to implement CAD driven bom then what were you concerns ?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thank you,

Rahul Kharkar
Manager - Windchill PLM Program
Novellus System Inc
4 REPLIES 4
proed
1-Newbie
(To:RahulK)

Hi

We're doing something like you describe, though migrating Pro/E data from Pro/I 3.4 to PDMLink 9.1.

We're in the testing stages, and it looks like this process can work fairly well: driving PDM BOMs from CAD BOMs. The CAD items are locked in PDM, preventing change of quantity, etc, though you can add extra non-CAD items in the PDM BOM.

Would also be interested to hear from anyone further along the road - any things to look out for, points to note, etc.

Edwin Muirhead
CAD Manager, Weatherford

In Reply to Rahul Kharkar:

All,

We are planning to move from Pro/I 3.4 and Windchill 8 environment to a single PLM environment (most likely Windchill 10). We are also considering to implement CAD driven BoM concept. The idea is that a CAD model gets create in Pro/E and then upon check the corresponding bom gets published in Windchill. On paper the concept looks really good. It can basically eliminate / reduce redundant task of creating engineering bill of material.

Has your company tried to implement this concept ? If yes, what all did it take to make it a success? If you have considered but have decided not to implement CAD driven bom then what were you concerns ?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thank you,

Rahul Kharkar
Manager - Windchill PLM Program
Novellus System Inc

I need some help trying to find out what happened to the Common Attributes pick from the Actions dropdown menu.

I was trying to edit the Common Attributes to a WTPart as a 'normal user' and noticed that the menu pick from the Action dropdown menu was not there. What I mean by 'normal user' is a user who can edit, modify, edit, rename, etc. a WTPart, non-admin.
I switched the user to the Library Manager (default admin) Role and the Common Attributes pick shows up. Can anyone help me understand why this is happening? I want to give non admin users the ability to modify common attributes without making them product administrators.

Thanks,
Miguel

[cid:image001.png@01CBCC34.99710E00]

What is the state of the Part they are trying to edit the Common
Attributes of?

If it's a controlled state like Released, that makes sense. If it's a
working state like In Work, then you have some incorrect Access Control
Policies.

To be able to perform an Edit Common Attributes, I believe the user needs
Modify for that Object Type at the specific state.

Steve D.

> I need some help trying to find out what happened to the Common Attributes
> pick from the Actions dropdown menu.
>
> I was trying to edit the Common Attributes to a WTPart as a 'normal user'
> and noticed that the menu pick from the Action dropdown menu was not
> there. What I mean by 'normal user' is a user who can edit, modify, edit,
> rename, etc. a WTPart, non-admin.
> I switched the user to the Library Manager (default admin) Role and the
> Common Attributes pick shows up. Can anyone help me understand why this
> is happening? I want to give non admin users the ability to modify common
> attributes without making them product administrators.
>
> Thanks,
> Miguel
>
> [cid:image001.png@01CBCC34.99710E00]
>
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:RahulK)

Edit common attributes refers to those attributes held in common on the Master - but the user permission depends on the current state of every iteration in the object's history.

Likely at least one iteration is at a state for which Modify permission is not given to the user.

No easy way around this.
Top Tags