cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Revise and Promote combined

RoyCrerar
14-Alexandrite

Revise and Promote combined

Hi, I am attempting to match what we do in windchill to our business process.

At development and prototype states the revisions should be Numeric. Once the objects are promoted to pre-production or production the revisions should become Alpha. I have configured for state based versioning and all looks quite positive so far, I then noticed that when i promote to pre-production from the earlier state the revision remains at Numeric until the item is revised. Also if I promote to Production without revising in pre-production this will also appear as Numeric rev until a revise has been done.

Is there a method I can use that will promote and change the revision scheme in one step?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can find guidance for this in Help here:

Adding Automatic Revisioning

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Great question - many Windchill admin's have addressed in various ways over the years.

Key is that Revise from any state is only to one state.

For states used for NUMERICAL Revisions, Revise will select the next Numbered Rev.

For states used for A, B, C... Revisions, Revise will select the next Alpha Rev.

Need an elegant way to get from the Numbers to the Letters.

There is an optional way to enable Revise to be done after Promotion, but that ends with the data at a working state.  Still need a change object or promotion to bring it to release.

Some (including where I used to work) use an interim state. It's sole purpose is that on Revise from that state, it jumps to the first Alpha Rev.

Nothing really elegant for this OTB - all have some pro's and con's.

RoyCrerar
14-Alexandrite
(To:MikeLockwood)

Hi, I have found out some further information on this that you may like.

cs241583 details state based versioning there are five video clips that are really neat and concise.

To cut a long story short there are a couple of site utility settings that you can set.

in Site\Utilities\Preference Management\Promotion Process

Automatic revision mode = Automatically revise only the promotion candidates with versioning scheme changed

Automatic Revision States = "choose the lifecycle state that you need the versioning to change from numeric to alpha"

In my case I am choosing 'preproduction'

Hope this helps I am off to test this out now.

You can find guidance for this in Help here:

Adding Automatic Revisioning

Top Tags