cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Running Windchill modules on Linux?

ptc-2649230
1-Newbie

Running Windchill modules on Linux?

Has anyone out there succeeded in running Windchill 9.1 on a distribution of
Linux?

If so, I am interested in specifics on which distribution and release,
issues with Windchill (and which modules are being run), continued support
from PTC on this platform, etc.

Thanks!
Ezra Steinberg
4 REPLIES 4

I did a test install of 9.1 M020 on Redhat 5 with success (not supported I guess).

Don't remember any special issue.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:ptc-2649230)

I have it running on Fedora 10.

I've had no problems. The only issue I ever had is with Search Index Instream 4 which is part of Windchill 9.0 early builds and Windchill 8.0. I've created this guide. Just remember to create the symbolic link (type the command, do not copy and paste). Also, make sure you kernal files are setup correctly. Watch for spaces in those files. I've attached my document that should help you. Better use 9.1 M050 to for the install. 9.1 M040 has a bug to create the schema and load demo data. I usually install the database on a separate machine, but you can install on one. I usually use oracle 11G. 11G has a great optimizer tool that usually monitors the system for any problematic windchill queries on the fly.

Regarding version of Linux,

I've tested Red Hat ES 4.7, 4.8, with both Windchill 9.0 and 9.1. Red Hat 5.4 is with 9.1. HP SAN services needs an update to work with Red Hat 5.5, that's if you use HP hardware.

Also, go with 2X 6-core rather than dual core or quad core. I found out through rigourous testing that there are about a 10X increase when using 2Xquad to 4X dual core. With the 12 cores on one machine with 48+GIG of ram, you can have 6 foregroundand 3 (2 for WVS and 1 for default) background method servers.

You server systems with just a basic 2 socket 6-core 3GHz system with at least 48 GIG of RAM will be stinking fast. For production systems, we used the HP blade BL460c G6 systems with a ProCurve 10GIGE switch for the systems of Windchill, Oracle and Workers to talk, transfer and receive at 10GIGE which will equal the SAN speed at 8GIG.

You can use the Cisco or Dell, with the same setup and upgrade to probably a 2X 24-core in 3 years.

Announcements

Top Tags