We currently run Windchill on Oracle and have been to look into converting over to SQL. I was wondering what people have experienced with moving over to MS SQL and how is the performance? Are there any risks running SQL over Oracle?
How big is your implementation? What is your active user count?
I am not a DBA but end up 'managing' both. Configuration tasks vary but they are functionally equivalent; both can handle sizable Windchill installations.
I have not seen performance issues with SQL Server when properly configured. I have Windchill installations on SQL Server that have been running relatively maintenance free for years. It is just a matter of properly configuring SQL Server up front. Transaction log files and the tempDB need proper configuration and automated maintenance plans.
Thanks for the information.
We have over 7 million iterations of objects and around 1,900 unique logins a month. We are heavily based in CAD, BoM management, and change management.
We switched to SQL in Oct 2018 at the same time we upgraded from 10.1 to 11.0. Caused us quite a bit of grief.
After we upgraded, there were random slowdowns. Some users had it. Others did not. Some that didn't have started having it at some point. I don't know what the percentage of users that were affected were though.
When someone would make a change in Creo and save it to their workspace, it sometimes took forever. Sometimes it took so long that the user forced closed Creo. On the bright side, almost every time they forced close, the action actually completed.
Sometimes when a user would just edit a parameter in their workspace through the embedded browser, it would take a long time.
Any of the tasks (all of them were interactions between Creo and PDMLink) could take anywhere for a minute or two to as much as 25 minutes or even longer.
We submitted a ticket with PTC about it and that also took forever to resolve.I opened a call April 2019 and finally seemed to have sorted it out early this year.
They had me set up logging on a few users that were known to have it. The problem is that it didn't happen all the time.
It turns out that there is something in the database that wasn't updating the statistics.
One set of logs we sent in the tech said this:
Every row returned here has the no recompute option, which means SQL Server will not automatically update those stats.
He also said PTC does not set this option.
It was a nightmare to find but they were persistent and really, really dug deep into the logs.
Other than this issue, it's been fine.