Success! Thank you people. Checkout times have vastly improved. This was due to two database tweaks in initilnk.ora. Yes, I did both at the same time - a shotgun approach.
1.) Increase db_block_buffers from 4800 to 20480. 2.) Change optimizer_mode from RULE to CHOOSE; add optimizer_index_caching = 99 & optimizer_index_cost_adj = 10. 3.) SVRMGR> execute dbms_utility.analyze_schema('PDM','ESTIMATE'). I used ESTIMATE instead of COMPUTE - Supposedly takes less time to do. I did this over dialup last night & wanted it to finish before the connection died again. Other suggestions:
System may be swapping too much; not enough ram TEMP table space too small ( I should increase mine ) Network issues - 10Mb vs. 100Mb, collisions, errors Issue with replicated vaults, tan 123742 Don't run $ORACLE_HOME on NFS mount