cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Scrolling in Internet Explorer 8 is slow

vaillan
5-Regular Member

Scrolling in Internet Explorer 8 is slow

I was looking at a Dytrace Ajax capture of slow scrolling in a table with 900 rows in a Windchill 10 system this morning.  The complaint was when using IE 8 the operation would appear to hang indefinatly but the same operation would complete in FireFox.  The Dynatrace AJAX showed all of the time was spent in the internal browswer operation of 'redering', I talked to our resident guru for all things client side and his suggestions were the following:

• Apply the budled registry entries from CS23960
  • Disable compatibility view mode for IE
  • Set the browser preference to use smooth scrolling (tools > internet options > advanced > Use smooth scrolling)
  • Upgrade the browser to use IE 9 32 bit (but not 64 bit, it's about equivalent to IE 8), based on the testing which has been done.  IE 9 is about twice as fast as IE 8. 

Image taken from page 8

• 8-7-2013 11-31-00 AM.png
1 REPLY 1

Regarding the comment:

> I would like to give a comment to your posting “Scrolling in Internet Explorer 8 is slow“.

> First of all thanks to you for all these good postings that are very helpful to me!

>

> We are a PTC-customer with following system combination:

> Win7 x64, IE9 32+64bit, WC10.0 M030, WF5 M190

>

> I am pretty sure that at the beginning it was recommended by PTC to install both 32 and 64bit > version of IE. Then system will use automatically IE64bit as embedded browser

>

> So now I am wondering why you say no 64bit IE anymore?

> We have some problems with IE9 64bit occasionally. From time to time embedded browser is > freezing and we have to restart ProE to activate workspace again.

>

> So do you recommend to use just IE9 33bit? Maybe it will fix our freezing problem too?

When running Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 or Creo Parametric on a 64-bit Windows system and when using config windows_browser_type=ie_in_process (OOTB value), the embedded browser will default to the installed 64-bit Internet Explorer release.

In the case of Internet Explorer 9, Microsoft built 64-bit IE9 with a slower JavaScript engine than 32-bit IE9.  As a result, OOTB browser performance is not as good as it could be on systems using 64-bit IE9.

Setting config windows_browser_type=ie_in_sep_process results in better browser performance as the embedded browser will use the faster 32-bit embedded IE browser.

See the following for additional browser detail and general client tuning recommendations:

• CS136853 - Choosing the best web browser for Pro/ENGINEER and Creo Interaction with Windchill
  • CS23960 - [TS KP] Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire and Creo Interaction with PDMLink - Recommended Initial Performance Client Settings
  • CS140968 - [TS KP] Windchill Workgroup Manager Interaction with PDMLink - Recommended Initial Performance Client Settings

As to your client freezing, there are many possible causes.  CS103860 (Known issues when using Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 with Windchill PDMLink 10.x) references a dozen problems identified with IE9 and several that are specific to the browser freezing/hanging.  If none of the referenced articles look to be applicable, upgrade to the latest Creo release as R&D is making fixes for browser and other issues with each build.  If upgrading doesn't help, open a TS case to investigate further.

Top Tags