cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Search for multiple items

ptc-859099
1-Newbie

Search for multiple items

Is there a way to search for multiple items in windchill 9.0? I understand that it is possible to enter wild card characters to find parts but that is rather limited to a particular range and also gives me more results that I am wanting. In intralink 3.3 if I wanted to search for file name 111.prt and 222.asm I could simply type in "111*;222*;" (without the quotations) and it would find both items. How can I do this same thing in windchill 9.0?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darrell
12-Amethyst
(To:Darrell)

In PDMLink 9.0, I recently figured out how to search for multiple objects using a semicolon (Boolean OR) and thought I would share it: You can do it in the name fields (name, number and filename), but you can't use a semicolon in the keyword field.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Nathan, I tried to get a answer to the same question a few weeks back and was told by PTC that this particular functionality does not exist in windchill. They suggested that a product improvment request be made to have this functionality added in future releases. Sorry for the bad news hope this helps.

Thanks, I got this same answer from someone else but was hoping there was someone out that knew something he didnt. Guess not...

You can do it using "Advanced Search" - see the example screenshot. It's Windchill 8 screenshot, but in Windchill 9 it works the same.

Where is the screen shot?

Here we go (updated the previous message)!

Thank you very much. Going a bit off topic for a moment, I see that under the buttons for delete, add to project, move, etc. it has a description of what the button is for. Is it possible to get that in windchill 9?

I will have a look @office tomorrow.

I found it, I overlooked it in the preferences.

In a standard search, you can separate mulitple items with a semi-colon. Ex. 12345.*; 6789.*. We have been using 9.0 for a while and have always been able to do the multiple item search.

I have tried that before and just tried again, it doesnt work for me.

I've tried the semi column also and it doesn't seem to work.
Darrell
12-Amethyst
(To:MMelanson)

I have tried the comma, semicolon, space and everything else I could think of and none of it worked in PDMLink 9. The selections below the keyword box: With All of These Criteria and With Any of These Criteria sure make me think its possible. I never could figure it out though.
Darrell
12-Amethyst

In PDMLink 9.0, I recently figured out how to search for multiple objects using a semicolon (Boolean OR) and thought I would share it: You can do it in the name fields (name, number and filename), but you can't use a semicolon in the keyword field.

AWESOME. Did you figure out how to do an "AND" search where the order doesn't matter? for example if my part is named screw, machine, flat head, phillips, m4x10

I can do my search as follows *screw*m4* but sometimes the name in Windchill would be "M4x10 machine screw" so my search would not capture this part.

AWESOME. Did you figure out how to do an "AND" search where the order doesn't matter? for example if my part is named screw, machine, flat head, phillips, m4x10

I can do my search as follows *screw*m4* but sometimes the name in Windchill would be "M4x10 machine screw" so my search would not capture this part.

Darrell
12-Amethyst
(To:MMelanson)

You have to use advanced search. On the advanced search page, leave keyword blank, select

Hi i am trying a search scenario and need some help on that.

Select with all of these criteria.

Attribute1 is an iba attribute on WTdoc with a legal list constraint.

Attribute 2 is simple string type attribute.

My criteria is

Attribute 2 = 123*;890*

Attribute 1=N15;N14

I want an AND between Att1 and Att2 and an OR for values of Att1 and Att2.

I can do OR for values on Att2 by specifying a ; symbol between more than one values but for Att1 it shows me a list of values (drop down). So i can now select only one value.

How can solve this issue.

I have set the property entry "com.ptc.windchill.search.client.overrideAndOrOperator" to true and want to use it as true always.

Because if i set it to false or dont use it then if i use following criteria

Attribute2=123*

Attribute2!=*xyz

it does not search for (Attribute2='123')&(Attribute2!=*xyz). It puts an OR in between and gives me wrong result, even if i have selected With all of criteria.

cgorni
16-Pearl

In fact semi-colon cannot be used in Keyword search if the Index Search is enabled, see CS78425

HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II
(To:cgorni)

Hi @cgorni 

If you use index search use the semicolon in a specific parameter column do not use keyword column . It works.

HelesicPetr_0-1655813081336.png

I didn't read previous answers 😄 so I just repeated what has been mentioned. 

PetrH

Top Tags