cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Set Number to Name

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Set Number to Name

In setting up WTparts for Creo CAD files, we have the Number set to the name for the CAD parts. Not sure if this is OOTB or something in the OIR.

When I check in with Auto Associate, I get the WTpart with the Name being the same as the CADpart name, but the number is a sequences driven number. We want the number of the WTpart to be the same as the name, just like the CADpart.

I have looked at the OIRs for the existing system and both have references to a sequence number, so not sure what is overriding that.

Is this a setting in Preferences?

I know I can turn off file extensions for the number, but this causes a conflict with drawing files. The part or assembly get checked-in and the file extension is dropped, but when the drawing goes to be checked-in, you get a must be unique warning. Is there some way to do this, too?

Windchill 11 m030 CPS16

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben,

Turning off auto-number of WTPart will give you what you want when auto-associating and creating new WTParts from CAD.  You do this in OIR for WTPart.  Also know that if you manually create parts then you must add number you desire.

If you do the above/or not and have a CAD drawing with same number as the associated model, the drawing will always fail with uniqueness error if you drop extension.  Both CAD Model and CAD drawing are of type CAD Document (EPMDoc) and number has to be unique by type.  Normally I recommend leaving pref on to solve this issue between CAD drawing and its Model.  Another approach some customers have used is the have a character in Drawing file name to make is unique....say model is model #12345,  then name Drawing #D12345,  then you can drop extension on number

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ben,

Turning off auto-number of WTPart will give you what you want when auto-associating and creating new WTParts from CAD.  You do this in OIR for WTPart.  Also know that if you manually create parts then you must add number you desire.

If you do the above/or not and have a CAD drawing with same number as the associated model, the drawing will always fail with uniqueness error if you drop extension.  Both CAD Model and CAD drawing are of type CAD Document (EPMDoc) and number has to be unique by type.  Normally I recommend leaving pref on to solve this issue between CAD drawing and its Model.  Another approach some customers have used is the have a character in Drawing file name to make is unique....say model is model #12345,  then name Drawing #D12345,  then you can drop extension on number

Top Tags