cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Silent Installation of Creo View 4.1

bradlawrence
9-Granite

Silent Installation of Creo View 4.1

I have installed creo view 4.1 on my pc, now I want to shared that installation on other pc's as a worldwide executable, I want something similar like a silent installation of creo 3 parametric. I want something to detect if creo view 4.1 is installed or not, then if not, an executable to install it. I know creo 3 parametric uses an xml to install. Any advice or examples will be great.   Creo View 4.1 is necessary to open up thumbnails in Windchill 11.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:TomU)

You can put the license, startup, and other information in the c:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 4.1\View\preferences\ProductView\admin_prefs.xml file. You can copy the license information from your personal user_prefs.xml file to get the formatting. Other settings, like lock settings, need to be added manually. The modification of the admin_prefs.xml file used to be documented in either the install or admin/users guide.  Once you have a working admin_prefs.xml file, you can insert it into the installation as part of the installation script.

The following example shows a simple admin_prefs.xml file that will lock the installation down to the "lite" installation, prevent the user from activating the startup prompts, and define the license server.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<preferences>
  <category name="General">
    <category name="Startup">
      <preference name="startup_prompt" value="false" locked="true"/>
      <preference name="startup_mode" value="pvlite" locked="true"/>
    </category>
    <category name="Licensing">
      <preference name="license_server" value="port@server"/>
    </category>
  </category>
</preferences>

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:bradlawrence)

You can modify the CreoSetup.ini files in the installation area to make the pre-requisite installation silent, and you can use an installation command like the following:

CreoSetup.exe /vADDLOCAL="ALL" APPLICATIONFOLDER="C:\EngTools\PTC\Creo 4.1\View" /l*v "%TEMP%\creoview.log" /qn

The "/qn" will make it silent.  We modify the installation folder and create a log file of the installation.

As far as detecting the existence of the software, you can do this in multiple ways.  A very simple way is to check for the existence of a file in the installation area.  You can also check registry keys, use the WMIC command to list the installed software and then search for Creo View, etc.  It all depends on what you feel is the best method for you.

We build our own installation off of what PTC provides as we want to reduce the installation source size as well as install CV ECAD, demo data, etc. with just a single installation command.  We deploy the software via MS SCCM.

The following example .ini file will make the pre-requisite software installation silent (see COMMANDLINE=):

[VC2008SP1_X86]
PROGRAM=vcredist_x86_VS2008SP1.exe
COMMANDLINE=/qn
LOCATION=..\prereqs
PRODUCTCODE={9BE518E6-ECC6-35A9-88E4-87755C07200F}
PLATFORM=ALL

[VC2008SP1_X64]
PROGRAM=vcredist_x64_VS2008SP1.exe
COMMANDLINE=/qn
LOCATION=..\prereqs
PRODUCTCODE={5FCE6D76-F5DC-37AB-B2B8-22AB8CEDB1D4}
PLATFORM=X64

[VC2010_X86]
PROGRAM=vcredist_x86_VS2010.exe
COMMANDLINE=/qn /norestart
LOCATION=..\prereqs
PRODUCTCODE={F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5}
PLATFORM=ALL

[VC2010_X64]
PROGRAM=vcredist_x64_VS2010.exe
COMMANDLINE=/qn /norestart
LOCATION=..\prereqs
PRODUCTCODE={1D8E6291-B0D5-35EC-8441-6616F567A0F7}
PLATFORM=X64

[VC2012_X86]
PROGRAM=vcredist_x86_VS2012.exe
COMMANDLINE=/quiet /norestart
LOCATION=..\prereqs
PRODUCTCODE={BD95A8CD-1D9F-35AD-981A-3E7925026EBB}
PLATFORM=ALL

[VC2012_X64]
PROGRAM=vcredist_x64_VS2012.exe
LOCATION=..\prereqs
PRODUCTCODE={CF2BEA3C-26EA-32F8-AA9B-331F7E34BA97}
PLATFORM=X64

[VC2015U3_X86]
PROGRAM=vcredist_x86_VS2015u3.exe
LOCATION=..\prereqs
;PRODUCTCODE={}
PLATFORM=ALL

[VC2015U3_X64]
PROGRAM=vcredist_x64_VS2015u3.exe
LOCATION=..\prereqs
;PRODUCTCODE={}
PLATFORM=X64

i have tried couple things, my current command is...........

Creosetup.exe /vADDLOCAL="ALL" LICENSESERVER=”7788@staeng02” APPLICATIONFOLDER="C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 4.1\View" /v/l*v "%TEMP%\creoview41_install.log" /qn

but it keeps coming up with the Windows Installer per below screenshot, i click OK, nothing happens.  Any suggestions to make it work?

windowsinstaller.PNG 

dnordin
15-Moonstone

The logging callout is wrong.

Try /l*v "%TEMP%\creoview41_install.log" instead of /v/l*v "%TEMP%\creoview41_install.log".

Also, the error may be from one of the prerequisite programs failing.  The options changed slightly from the older version of the redestributable libraries ( the VC2008, VC2010, etc.).  The older installs used /qn, and the newer ones use /quiet.  Check your CreoSetup.ini file for COMMANDLINE= options as they may be wrong or there is a typo.  I believe the options listed in my example should work.

You don't need to specify the APPLICATIONFOLDER= unless you want it to be different than than the default.

We set the licenses, along with other settings, in the admin_prefs.xml file, so we don't include it on the install line.

You were right, /l*v "%TEMP%\creoview41_install.log" worked.   Once I corrected that, Creo View 4.1 installed perfect!

Also, forgot to ask, where is the admin_prefs.xml file located at?

Furthermore..........

Also, been trying the silent on other pc’s , its working, but………..when opening up creo view 4.1 first time, it asks for to be Creo Lite or Creo Standard, we select Creo Standard, then it asks for the license server.

The install line below of Creosetup.exe, it calls for LICENSESERVER=”7788@staeng02” , I don’t know why it prompts for Creo Lite or Creo Standard, then prompts for license server.  How to prevent it asking for license server info?

Creosetup.exe /vADDLOCAL="ALL" LICENSESERVER=”7788@staeng02” APPLICATIONFOLDER="C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 4.1\View" /l*v "%TEMP%\creoview41_install.log" /qn

TomU
23-Emerald IV

The response to that prompt is stored in the user_prefs.xml file (%APPDATA%\ptc\ProductView), along with every other preference.  I think the only way you will avoid it is to somehow include an already modified version of the user_prefs.xml in your distribution (if this is even possible.)

dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:TomU)

You can put the license, startup, and other information in the c:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 4.1\View\preferences\ProductView\admin_prefs.xml file. You can copy the license information from your personal user_prefs.xml file to get the formatting. Other settings, like lock settings, need to be added manually. The modification of the admin_prefs.xml file used to be documented in either the install or admin/users guide.  Once you have a working admin_prefs.xml file, you can insert it into the installation as part of the installation script.

The following example shows a simple admin_prefs.xml file that will lock the installation down to the "lite" installation, prevent the user from activating the startup prompts, and define the license server.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<preferences>
  <category name="General">
    <category name="Startup">
      <preference name="startup_prompt" value="false" locked="true"/>
      <preference name="startup_mode" value="pvlite" locked="true"/>
    </category>
    <category name="Licensing">
      <preference name="license_server" value="port@server"/>
    </category>
  </category>
</preferences>