cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Softtyping of Configurable Links

HugoHermans
9-Granite

Softtyping of Configurable Links

Did anyone succeeded to deploy softtypes of configurable links?

Our VAR setup configurable links (master, reference, describe) on our Windchill test environment. We are able to use them, including additional attributes on the link. But when I add additional softtypes to e.g. the master configurable link, I don't find the possibility to use it while creating a new link instance. I can't find an entry to define OIR's on configurable links, what confirms that the implementation is not quiet finished yet.

7-05-2015 10-11-54.jpg

So I was wondering if there are already succesful use cases for this technology.

Thanks in advance,

Hugo.

Windchill 10.1 M040.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Hugo

Yes we use configurable links (master and describe links) for several use cases

there is some aditional configuration in XML files and ressources Bundle to display your own types in the UI. Not as simple to just create new WTpart type in type manager....

It is describe in Customizer guide. And PTC provide only file examples for the 3 basic types ...

be carrefull also on link constraints in the type manager. (ability to set cardinality and Types of objects that you can link on both sides of the configurable link) . Cause the UI (add, remove link) is aware of these constraints ...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Hugo

Yes we use configurable links (master and describe links) for several use cases

there is some aditional configuration in XML files and ressources Bundle to display your own types in the UI. Not as simple to just create new WTpart type in type manager....

It is describe in Customizer guide. And PTC provide only file examples for the 3 basic types ...

be carrefull also on link constraints in the type manager. (ability to set cardinality and Types of objects that you can link on both sides of the configurable link) . Cause the UI (add, remove link) is aware of these constraints ...

mdrum
6-Contributor
(To:GregoryPERASSO)

Related to this - I am having some issues figuring out how to control access on setting up these links.  We have a WTPart type that we use for our primary objects in Windchill (represent components in our product structures).  We have a soft type of WTPart for materials (specific ABS, POM, etc.).  We link these two WTParts with a master configurable link where you are able to add materials to the main WTPart type.

We want our users to be able to add the linkage between the material and the WTPart that uses it, however, when setting up the policy administrator controls, we are able to control it through role, but we have no more granularity on that. 

And since the configurable link does not iterate the WTPart when a material is added, users are able to add a material at any state of the WTPart, even if it is already released.  As far as I can tell, there is no "state" to a configurable link, so how does one say that a user can link a material at an "In Work" state, but not a "Prototype" or "Production" state?

Top Tags