cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

SolidWorks EPDM >> Windchill

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

SolidWorks EPDM >> Windchill

Alcon acquired a company with mature SolidWorks data in EPDM.  We're being asked to look at migrating it including all history to Windchill.

What utilities / approaches can be used for this?

note: For another acquired company with SolidWorks data on network drives, we've imported to Windchill WGM, latest only, and are very familiar with this process.

thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1

Hi Mike

not many replies for your question.....

I will soon (hopefully) face a similar issue to have ePDM (actually PDM Professional) to PDMLink.  Our CAD files (solidworks) are not that mature nor the data have been managed in ePDM. One issue which has been bugging me is that ePDM was supposedly configured to accept duplication. That is

you can have PT123.sldprt in Folder F1  and PT123.sldprt in Folder F2

Obviously, and for very good reason, PDMLink will not like this.

My first thought was to rename one of the duplication, unfortunately it is not as trivial due to the lack of capabilities of ePDM. NUMBER does not exist. Well it does in the datacard but here again it is not unique.

If I rename one of the duplication, then the BOM will be having the wrong number since the BOM is created from the file.

The only way I can see it work is to actually modify all the assemblies using the duplicated files and replace them by the one we want to keep. This is also the cleanest approach. Unfortunately, this cannot be automated and since we have version control, It will means messing with the workflow and status to avoid an increment in the revision.

Nonetheless, only the latest version will be cleaned as the oldest will still be using the duplication but then renamed. Which means that the BOM from the oldest revision will be wrong if we ever need to view them (and on occasions we do)

I was wondering if within the Windchill community, anyone faced the same situation and what decision was made.

Thanks

Top Tags