cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Solidworks will not save large assembly to WGM

slaw
5-Regular Member

Solidworks will not save large assembly to WGM

I am using Solidworks 2014 SP3 and Windchill WGM 10.2 M030.  I am trying to save assemblies that are 60+ MB to my workspace using the "Save to Workspace" button on the PTC Windchill tab.  The process acts like it is working for about ten minutes and then nothing.  The workspace folder on my hdd contains ~2200 files consisting of .wbk, .sldprt, and .sldasm.  WGM status window indicates files are being saved and the cursor "spins" when placing over the solidworks application.  I have let the process run in excess of twelve hours but the files never make it to the server for check in.  Any ideas why the files are not uploading to the server so that I can check them in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sknox
1-Newbie
(To:slaw)

yes, we ran into that a lot.

I found the system will hang if there is any reference issue in the assembly. So a few guesses, (and I know this is a month old, but it may help others)

• There is an external reference where it cannot find the file.
  • There is a circular reference
  • There is a regeneration issue that is severely breaking something (less likely)

Typically I only used "Save to workspace" from Solidworks for parts, and small assemblies.

I always loaded files into the system through the Import to workspace command in the WGM under the tools sub menu. In there you can preview the reference files, tell the system to reuse files already in the database etc. Also you'll be able to see if there are any ghost objects that you need to resolve (torn paper). Try using the import to workspace command and use the next button to preview, then after it looks good use finish to complete. For large assemblies (2Gbs including all references) this could take me an hour or two to resolve. but smaller ones, (a few hundred Mbs with the parent assembly being 100+Mbs) were always resolved within 15min, typically within 2 or 3 minutes.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
sknox
1-Newbie

yes, we ran into that a lot.

I found the system will hang if there is any reference issue in the assembly. So a few guesses, (and I know this is a month old, but it may help others)

• There is an external reference where it cannot find the file.
  • There is a circular reference
  • There is a regeneration issue that is severely breaking something (less likely)

Typically I only used "Save to workspace" from Solidworks for parts, and small assemblies.

I always loaded files into the system through the Import to workspace command in the WGM under the tools sub menu. In there you can preview the reference files, tell the system to reuse files already in the database etc. Also you'll be able to see if there are any ghost objects that you need to resolve (torn paper). Try using the import to workspace command and use the next button to preview, then after it looks good use finish to complete. For large assemblies (2Gbs including all references) this could take me an hour or two to resolve. but smaller ones, (a few hundred Mbs with the parent assembly being 100+Mbs) were always resolved within 15min, typically within 2 or 3 minutes.

slaw
5-Regular Member
(To:sknox)

Thanks for the reply Steve.  Using the Import to Workspace is what I had to do. The assembly is external references and circular references.  I was hoping to use the "Save to Workspace" option though since that is what most of our users will be taught.

sknox
1-Newbie

I ended up teaching one person in each department the import to workspace functonality. I also ended up having a queue of models and assemblies to load on my PC while I worked on other administration type stuff in the browsers. Glad you figured it out

YodaKim
13-Aquamarine

Hello Steven, Hello Steve,

PTC wants to learn more about the issue you described in this post, "saving large SolidWorks assembly to workspace in PTC Windchill Workgroup Manager". If there is any genuine software issue or necessary enhancement in Saving SolidWorks assemblies to Workspace action, we would like to investigate and address it.

If you already reported the same issue to PTC Technical Support can you please let me know the Case number? Or if not, can you please kindly open it for us? PTC Technical Support case is most efficient way to collect information required for PTC R&D's investigation for potential bug fix and also you can track how the issue through it.

Thank you and Regards,

Yoda Kim (PTC Product Management)

sknox
1-Newbie
(To:YodaKim)

My understanding of how it works/why it crashes is that Windchill is forcing Solidworks to resolve all its references. When solidworks gets a circular reference (very easy to do) it becomes nearly impossible to load into Windchill. (resulting in a crashed application). Which frankly I'm fine with because I don't want files like that in the database, however it can be hard for people to figure this out initially until they know what to look for.

slaw
5-Regular Member

I opened a case for this.  The case number is 12636497.

YodaKim
13-Aquamarine

Thank you so much for your prompt responses.

Steve,

I can understand that. I think it makes sense to check if it is possible to predict reference issues in model abort save action early.

Steven,

We will check the status of your CASE with that number.

Thanks,

Yoda

Top Tags