cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Spec driven piping with Windchill

otukiainen
1-Newbie

Spec driven piping with Windchill

Hi,

I'm sure that there are a lot of people using Creo Parametrics spec driven Piping and at the sametime using Windchill. My question is, can you integrate the spec-driven piping (master catalog directory) into the Windchill? If not, what is the right way to do it?

The usual way, I think, is to keep the master catalog file directory in your local drive. But then there is the problem of multiple people using/updating the master catalog and thus having the risk of having multiple different versions of Mcat in use. I guess one solution would be to use a shared network drive, so that all the people who are using spec-driven piping would have automatically same files available. But it would be nice if the whole thing could work through Windchill.

And one extra question: Is there any risk using spec-driven piping with Windchill regarding part versioning/duplicates. If I use piping and add multitude of similar valves, for example, and then upload the assembly containing those to the Windchill server, how does it cope with naming similar parts? It is not beneficial to have lots of same parts with different names. And what if I already have similar valve in the Windchill, and I upload more, does it recognize that there is already similar part in the server or does it generate duplicates with different names?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Hi,

If you’re looking to integrate your spec-driven piping text files (Master Catalog and Specs) into Windchill, you can do so. Please see more information here: (http://support.ptc.com/help//creo_hc/creo30_pma_hc/usascii/index.html%23page/piping/specpiping/to_use_spec_driven_piping_library_with_windchill.html&sa=D&ust=1513055515853000&usg=AFQjCNHhnN9S_qiYNOdLZP3MCzpLgWsa0Q)

However, there can be latency issues with hosting this data on the server instead of locally. My company has developed RsysConfig, which is a web interface that among other things allows you quickly upload your existing spec-driven data and/or easily create new data. From there, members of your organization can login and download the text files locally to their computers.

The config.pro setting "fitting_lib_dir" controls which directory Creo looks at for the fitting models. it should pull the latest/released/etc from that directory based on your standard Windchill settings. It's recommended that the directory for the CAD models is set up as a standard "Library" so that only a select group of users can modify the models.

If you upload an assembly to Windchill, the PRTs of the assembly don't all get created as "new" objects. It uses the version of the PRT that was actually stored in Windchill as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to discuss further.

Cheers,

John Piotrowski

CadActive Technologies

Co-Founder & Product Manager

John Piotrowski, Co-Founder & Product Manager
CadActive Technologies - www.cadactive.com
Top Tags