cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still working the migration from 3.4 to 9.0.

Highlighted
Participant

Still working the migration from 3.4 to 9.0.

PTC is still trying to figure out why my family tables get blown away during migration. They tell me that another customer has been identified with the issue, so if anyone else has seen this please let me know.

In the mean time I’ve been working on some of our other migration issues. The migrator appears to leave over 1000 files in the Intralink 3.4 vaults. The status report tells me that 295 files cannot be migrated and gives this error:

"Unable to move this file. Reasons may be- file does not exist or dont have proper permissions to move into PDMLink filevault"

The ~1000 files left in the vaults are mostly ProE files; however there are 5 PDFs. (I’m using Pre-Copy). The 295 files that the migrator says cannot be migrated are not necessarily the same files that are left in the vaults. Some of them are ProE, PDF, text files, Excel files and so on… In some cases some of the 295 listedare still in the vault, in other cases the file(s) are not is the vault, however they do exist in the original 3.4 filevaults and are retrievable in 3.4, but not in PDMLink. My Intralink 3.4 missing object report says nothing is missing in the 3.4 vaults.

I don’t see an obvious reason for some files to fail migration. If anyone has suggestions I'm open.

I can’t migrate my RTP forms or Baselines either, but I’m not as concerned with those.

Dave

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

RE: Still working the migration from 3.4 to 9.0.

I found the problem: “user-error.” Every time you run the "ildataloader Filetransfer" script it appends your filevault data to the fileMap.csv. The problem is I have run the script many times with a changing dataset without ever deleting the fileMap.csv. This causes the mapping to be incorrect.

If you haven’t seen the data-migrator I’ll tell you that it is a command line tool with no embedded user guide or instructions. You have to follow along with the error filled “Pro/Intralink 9.0 data Migrator Administrator’s guide to use” it.

It would be nice if PTC would have worked out a nice step by step GUI enabled tool with checklists and what not. Instead they give us a command line tool that just exits while throwing cryptic logs if it has a problem with something.

I guess they know that migration is so difficult and troublesome that you’ll either know the tool in side or out by the time you are done with your dozens of test migrations, or they figure most folks will hire someone else for migration.
Highlighted

RE: Still working the migration from 3.4 to 9.0.

Its sad to hear that PTC did not make the wc9 data migrator a GUI or other than command line.

Something more admin friendly.

I think you are correct is your later assessment:

"they figure most folks will hire someone else for migration"

I think they want the customer to pay PTC to do it. I think I recall that the data migrator was not even
available for a long while.

Maybe till the customer beat them up over it.

Maybe the customer needs to beat them up again for a better, more admin friendly data migrator...OOPS.

Then again, as a wc contracting admin (most the time), I get paid to do migrations. Some that existing
Intralink admin's dont desire to do. I would still prefer to have a quick migration & get on with more
functional work.

I think it would help if they had better migration tuning guides. Oops again.

L. Oops Jett

Announcements