cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Thumbnail of Pdf

praseeth.moothe
1-Newbie

Thumbnail of Pdf

hi all,

I am quite new to Windchill. Can i get a thumbnail for a pdf file in Windchill ? Please tell me if there is a way around this....

Thank You

6 REPLIES 6

I was looking for the same thing. I spoke with PTC today and they said that this is not possible.

Has anyone found an alternative solution?

What size thumbnail we talking here?

You could have a thumbnail 1/4 the size and depending on content, see what is in the pdf.

You can write a customization to shrink the pdf down and rasterize it to a plain old image, but what would you see?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

We are just trying to get thumbnail for PDF docs similar to when we get them for parts. assemblies and drawings.
Such that it would show up inside a WindChill folder or on the details page for the file.

We installed a worker agent to publish JPGs and BMPs and we thought it would work for PDFs too

We have some older drawings that we have saved as PDFs and cannot import the original data. But we would

>>> <weatherguru@comcast.net> 12/3/2010 3:58 PM >>>
What size thumbnail we talking here?

You could have a thumbnail 1/4 the size and depending on content, see what is in the pdf.

You can write a customization to shrink the pdf down and rasterize it to a plain old image, but what would you see?

Cadworker like thumbnail requires 3D data. You would have to get 3D from 2D and that's not possible on pdf unless it was embedded.

Fishbowl Solutions offers a publishing solution that amongst other things will create Windchill PDF viewable for drawings that does include thumbnails.
It includes a large thumbnail which is visible from the details page, as well as a small thumbnail which is used for the folder view and search results.

It does generate thumbnails now for HPGL files for drawings. That was a
9.1 enhancement

>
> Cadworker like thumbnail requires 3D data. You would have to get 3D from
> 2D and that's not possible on pdf unless it was embedded.
>
>
> Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
>
Top Tags