cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Trying to upgrade to CPS18; psi_iir.xml seems to be wrong

rleir
17-Peridot

Trying to upgrade to CPS18; psi_iir.xml seems to be wrong

Version: Windchill 12.0

Use Case: The CPS18 staging dir does not contain an iinnnnnnn file in any of the instreg directories

Description:

I am still having trouble (you will see a recent question with a similar name).
The psi_iir.xml file under ~/.ptc/windchill/psi_iir_index.xml contains:
<Instance location="/opt/ptc/Windchill_12/PSI" id="ii nnn
with an old id corresponding to an iinnn directory under my CPS11 staging directory.

The new (CPS18) staging dir does not contain an iinnnnnnn file in any of the instreg directories:
CPS18/windchill_12.0.2.18_service_pack/Disk1/InstallerData/instreg

Am I supposed to create the new iinnn directory in the CPS18 staging directory manually? The PSI installer does not create it.
Maybe I should move the iinnn file from the old CPS11 staging directory to the new staging directory? That seems incorrect.

I have read many articles and help pages; what doco addresses this issue?

@avillanueva @HelesicPetr @ @RandyJones 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:rleir)

When you run the installer, from the staging diretory, it will then look for your ~/.ptc/windchill/psi_iir_index.xml and that needs to match up with the /opt/ptc/Windchill_12/PSI/installer/instreg/<someid here>.

The installer does not look in the staging directory.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

When you run the installer, from the staging diretory, it will then look for your ~/.ptc/windchill/psi_iir_index.xml and that needs to match up with the /opt/ptc/Windchill_12/PSI/installer/instreg/<someid here>.

The installer does not look in the staging directory.

rleir
17-Peridot
(To:avillanueva)

They all mention the iiXXX-8000 directory, but none tell you how to create it if it's missing.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@rleir wrote:

They all mention the iiXXX-8000 directory, but none tell you how to create it if it's missing.

I have copied an existing one before and tweaked contents to make it work, I have never created one from scratch.

What happened to the original iiXXX-8000 directory?

Is it not on backup anywhere?

rleir
17-Peridot

Thanks everyone for all the help.

The /opt/ptc/PSI/installer/instreg/iiXXX-8000 directory is created when Windchill is originally installed.  The ~/.ptc/windchill/psi_iir_index.xml must contain an id to match it, as documented in several community threads.

That said, my installation was failing because I did not understand the step where you choose 'Complete' or 'siteMod'.  We use the latter to keep track of our modified files, but in any case during the CPS update you need to choose 'Complete'.  Once we did that, the installer ran for 35 minutes: that's progress!

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@rleir wrote:

That said, my installation was failing because I did not understand the step where you choose 'Complete' or 'siteMod'.  We use the latter to keep track of our modified files, but in any case during the CPS update you need to choose 'Complete'.  Once we did that, the installer ran for 35 minutes: that's progress!

Yep.

• Run installer 1st time using SiteMod and check for modifications even if "just" a CPS update. Occasionally there will be a changed file I have customized in CPS updates.
  • If needed update customizations
  • Rerun installer 2nd time using Complete
Top Tags