cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

UNIX Java Location Problem

pwilliams-3
11-Garnet

UNIX Java Location Problem

Hi Everyone,
I am installing/configuring PDMLink 9.1 M030 on HP-UX 11i v1 (Itanium). During the PSI I chose to Install and Configure the Java SDK. However; I found out that this installation contains a 32 bit JRE. I found this by setting the Method Server maxHeap to 4096 which causes the Method Server to fail to start. I have since downloaded and installed the Java JDK 6.0.03 from the HP website.

I have tried configuring Windchill to point to this new JDK by setting the following variables in site.xconf (yes I propagated the changes).
<property name="wt.jdk" overridable="true"&lt;br"/> targetFile="codebase/wt.properties"
value="/opt/java6"/>
<property name="wt.java.cmd" overridable="true"&lt;br"/> targetFile="codebase/wt.properties"
value="$(wt.jdk)$(dir.sep)jre$(dir.sep)bin$(dir.sep)java"/>

When I try to start Windchill the ServerManager still starts with the following JVM definition and the MethodServer fails to start:

wt.server.manager.startup - JVM: "Hewlett-Packard Company", Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM, 1.6.0.03 (11.0-b16-jre1.6.0.03-rc2), 32-bit

Notice the 32-bit at the end of this line. Has anyone had any success in changing the jdk in UNIX?

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | Sr. Applications Engineer | Steelcase Inc. | 616.698.4078

[cid:image003.jpg@01CA5D5B.75B53F20]

3 REPLIES 3

set JAVA_HOME

I set that as well before starting Windchill.

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | Sr. Applications Engineer | Steelcase Inc. | 616.698.4078

[cid:image001.jpg@01CA5D5B.A7A2C570]

In Reply to Patrick Williams:

Hi Everyone,
I am installing/configuring PDMLink 9.1 M030 on HP-UX 11i v1 (Itanium). During the PSI I chose to Install and Configure the Java SDK. However; I found out that this installation contains a 32 bit JRE. I found this by setting the Method Server maxHeap to 4096 which causes the Method Server to fail to start. I have since downloaded and installed the Java JDK 6.0.03 from the HP website.

I have tried configuring Windchill to point to this new JDK by setting the following variables in site.xconf (yes I propagated the changes).
<property name="wt.jdk" overridable="true"&lt;br"/> targetFile="codebase/wt.properties"
value="/opt/java6"/>
<property name="wt.java.cmd" overridable="true"&lt;br"/> targetFile="codebase/wt.properties"
value="$(wt.jdk)$(dir.sep)jre$(dir.sep)bin$(dir.sep)java"/>

When I try to start Windchill the ServerManager still starts with the following JVM definition and the MethodServer fails to start:

wt.server.manager.startup - JVM: "Hewlett-Packard Company", Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM, 1.6.0.03 (11.0-b16-jre1.6.0.03-rc2), 32-bit

Notice the 32-bit at the end of this line. Has anyone had any success in changing the jdk in UNIX?

[cid:image003.jpg@01CA5D5B.75B53F20]

From the java man page:

-Dproperty=value
Set a system property value.

-d32

-d64
Request that the program to be run in a 32-bit or
64-bit environment, respectively. If the requested
environment is not installed or is not supported, an
error is reported.

Currently only the Java HotSpot Server VM supports 64-bit
operation, and the "-server" option is implicit with the
use of -d64. And the "-client" option is ignored with the
use of -d64. This is subject to change in a future
release.

If neither -d32 nor -d64 is specified, the default is to
run in a 32-bit environment, except for 64-bit only sys-
tems. This is subject to change in a future release.

So by default java will fire up the 32bit version if both 32 and 64 exist unless told otherwise with -d64 option. One way to accomplish this is to set the method server java extra args to -d64:

xconfmanager -s wt.manager.cmd.MethodServer.java.extra.args=-d64 -t codebase/wt.properties -p

Top Tags