cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open/see Creo files in Solidworks using Windchill Workgroup Manager?

danders238
Marble

Unable to open/see Creo files in Solidworks using Windchill Workgroup Manager?

Has anyone run into the issue of not being able to open or see Creo files using Solidworks Windchill Workgroup Manager Workspace or is this functionality not available with Windchill managing Solidworks files?

I'm currently not able to see the Creo files that are in a workspace by browsing to the workspace or if I open them within the Windchill Workgroup Manager for Solidworks.
Just want to be able to open the files de-feature them and generate a step file with out saving the original Creo file.
Any ideas how to configure Windchill/Workgroup manager to do this?

Note: There are currently Creo files in the workspace and the image shows that only the Solidworks files are accessible.  I have changed the filter setting to show all files in the workspace in the dialog box below.

danders238_0-1616789321272.png

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Unable to open/see Creo files in Solidworks using Windchill Workgroup Manager?

Hello,

This is expected behavior. Your WGM workspace shows Creo files but you cannot open it in Solidworks.

If you want to open them , please convert to platform independent format like .stp/.step.

This applies for reverse way as well. You need to convert Solidworks file to step , in order to open it in Creo.

The above logic not quite works for drawings. It will work perfectly for assemblies and parts. 

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ajit

Re: Unable to open/see Creo files in Solidworks using Windchill Workgroup Manager?

Hi Ajit,

Your response I believe to be incorrect, as I currently opened Solidworks files in Creo and currently use them in Creo assemblies from a Windchill workspace with out the need to convert to a neutral format that I have saved to Windchill Common Space using Solidworks/Windchill workgroup Manager.
I was told by someone that it was possible to open Creo files and edit them using Solidworks and Windchill Workgroup manager, but just not able to check them out to save them.

Still looking for the setting in Windchill Workgroup Manager to allow Solidworks to access to read/see the Creo files.

I know I can export them to a local working directory and edit them using Solidworks but this creates another step that I need to remove from the workflow.

You are correct that only the software the files are originally authored in can check them back into windchill, but that's not the question here.  I still should be able to open/read the Creo in Solidworks from the workspace.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Creo allows directly opening and using Solidworks CAD files in Creo via the 'unite' technology.  Essentially under the hood Creo is doing an import like if would with a neutral file.  It creates a new (hidden) Creo model and then associates this new Creo model with the Solidworks CAD so it looks like you actually have the Solidworks CAD in your assembly.

This same approach is not taken with the Workgroup Manager.  Using Creo files in Solidworks from the workspace is not allowed.  It is still possible to directly open Creo files from disk in Solidworks but I doubt it will play well with the workspace, especially if those Creo objects already exist in Windchill.  Even if you can check them in, they will be treated as Solidworks files, not Creo files.

Announcements