cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Unrestricted Parent with unrestricted children

pcnelson
1-Newbie

Unrestricted Parent with unrestricted children

(The title makes this sound like I'm asking for help in disciplining my kids...)

This may fall under the “Intended Functionality” umbrella, but I was wondering if it makes sense to others. If an assembly is checked in at a Released (open to all)level but contains objects that are restricted to most users, those users can see those objects in CreoView if they open the Released assembly. If they attempt to search for the restricted objects in WC they get no results to their search. I was guessing that the user would see gaps where the restricted objects should be in the assembly when viewing in CreoView, but I was wrong. Is there a setting that better controls this? I understand this is all based on a bad practice and that by association if the upper level is released, the lower level components should also be Released, and I will be working to correct this inconsistency. We are on WC M020 and Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M130. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Title error, should be: Unrestricted Parent with RESTRICTEDchildren. Sorry.

c128
1-Newbie
(To:pcnelson)

Hi Pete.

As you already guessed - this is intended functionality. There are two ways to publish viewables - atomic visualization and positioning assemblies.

Atomic vis creates complete datasets including all the components of the published assembly in one file. Thus access rights to the assembly will get you access to the viewable and you can see it all in CreoView.

Positioning assemblies create just a structure file with links to its components - more or less like the original Creo assembly. In that case you can only view the components that you have read access to.

The big disadvantage of positioning assemblies is, that assembly features get lost (nasty when you do machining on assy level)...

HTH
Matthias.

This issue exist with IP tagging as well. Regardless, WVS will generate separate entire viewable per object with all its children in the attachment markup object viewable. Sub-components in the viewable are part of the generated package. It is not like an EPMDocument structure.

I would recommend a custom simplified representation like Customer Rep instead of the Master representation which is copied to the drawing. Instead of just providing both Drawing Models with the Drawing (CreoView Adapter, parameters, miscelaneous, convert, Drawing Models), the reader most likely searches for the drawing and want instant access to view the 3D model without going and searching/browsing in Windchill again.

Hopefully you can identify customer drawings where you can add simplified Drawing Models into the markup object. Thus, readers of the drawings just need to open CreoView and view the simplified representation Customer Rep (no IP) of the assembly. Thus, you don't have to provide read access to the EPMDocument Assembly models which have the full IP.

Are you using ProjectLink to share the drawing only? If the Customer can also export the 3D Customer Rep from CreoView in different formats of their choice with CreoViewMCAD.

I have to look it up for assembling in CreoViewMCAD where you don't require ProE to assemble 3D for different CAD apps and customer information that may have the same file names.

Thanks,

Patrick

In Reply to pete nelson:

(The title makes this sound like I'm asking for help in disciplining my kids...)

This may fall under the “Intended Functionality” umbrella, but I was wondering if it makes sense to others. If an assembly is checked in at a Released (open to all)level but contains objects that are restricted to most users, those users can see those objects in CreoView if they open the Released assembly. If they attempt to search for the restricted objects in WC they get no results to their search. I was guessing that the user would see gaps where the restricted objects should be in the assembly when viewing in CreoView, but I was wrong. Is there a setting that better controls this? I understand this is all based on a bad practice and that by association if the upper level is released, the lower level components should also be Released, and I will be working to correct this inconsistency. We are on WC M020 and Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M130. Thanks!

Announcements

Top Tags