cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Upgrade Manager 2 for 10.0 to 11.0

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Upgrade Manager 2 for 10.0 to 11.0

I am working on a test upgrade of Windchill PDMLink 10.0 m040 to 11.0 m030. I got about 2/3 of the way through the Upgrade Manager Tasks and now I hit a failure. The task that fails is Update Container Templates and the first setp is to Start Windchill Server. I think it is failing because the HTTP service is not starting, but I can find no log files, cache files, etc, that can be used to trace the failure. I did manually start the Windchill Method Servers and then rerun the task, but that just started by stopping the MS amd then failing to restart them.

Does anyone have some hints on where to look before I open a help call with PTC?

4 REPLIES 4
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:BenLoosli)

@BenLoosli wrote:

I am working on a test upgrade of Windchill PDMLink 10.0 m040 to 11.0 m030. I got about 2/3 of the way through the Upgrade Manager Tasks and now I hit a failure. The task that fails is Update Container Templates and the first setp is to Start Windchill Server. I think it is failing because the HTTP service is not starting, but I can find no log files, cache files, etc, that can be used to trace the failure. I did manually start the Windchill Method Servers and then rerun the task, but that just started by stopping the MS amd then failing to restart them.

Does anyone have some hints on where to look before I open a help call with PTC?

Do you have any replica servers? During my upgrade from 10.2 M030 to 11.0 F000 the upgrade manager would generate new key for the replica servers at this point (Update Container Templates) and they (the replica servers) would fail to start. So I had to copy the new key to the replica servers, restart them, and then select Restart on the Upgrade manager.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:RandyJones)

No replica servers, all vaults on a single server, the Windchill server, on a separate disk.

Windchill installed on E: drive and vaults on F: drive on server 1.

Oracle installed on e: drive on server 2.

I use the same setup for my production and test environments. All physical machines with 2-hex core processors, no hyper-threading and 32 GB of memory.

Is your vault path in database a UNC path or drive letter, we hit the same roadblock where our vaults were configured with a UNC path \\abcd.sbc.com\\fvfolder1... PTC said to change it to drive letter, after doing that it was successful.

My vaults are in a drive letter path name since they are on the same server as Windchill.

I already knew of the UNC restriction from Windchill 7 days when we put the vaults on a third server, a NetApp Filer.

Top Tags