cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Upgrade from WQS Enterprise 10.0 to 10.1

ptc-3799428
1-Newbie

Upgrade from WQS Enterprise 10.0 to 10.1

My firm is developing a FRACAS using WQS. Our current version is 10.0, M050. We run it on Windows Server 2008.

Version 10.1 is available.

I have looked all over the PTC.com site and cannot find a document that describes upgrade procedures from version 10.0 to 10.1

Have tried installing 10.1 on top of 10.0 Does not provide an "Upgrade" choice.

Does any have experience with this or know if an Upgrade Document exists?

(I found a small amount of documentation that states I need to use xconfmanager. Xconfmanager and the Windchill Shell do not appear to exist on our server. Are they necessary for version upgrade or are these utilities only used by hard-core developers?)

Stan

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Stan,

Windchill FRACAS is part of Windchill Quality Solutions, and is NOT part of the core Windchill code. So Xconfmanager does not apply to WQS.

For more information, you may visit the Reference Documents section of PTC.com and search for Windchill Quality Solutions Enterprise Edition”, version “10.1”. For simplicity here’s a direct link: http://https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/doc/refdoc.jsp?p=browse_results&Product=Windchill+Quality+Solutions+Enterprise+Edition&Release=10.1&DocType=&Role=

You'll want the Enterprise Installation Guide. This has instructions on how to Convert (i.e. upgrade) from a previous version.

I would also recommend you visit and read the following bulletin:

http://www.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=141658

Mr. Jacob:

I have thoroughly reviewed the Windchill Quality Solutions 10.1, Installation Guide, Enterprise Edition, dated July 2012, 61 pages.

It does not specifically address an upgrade path. It does discuss database conversion from previous versions. It states on page 20:

Once the installation finishes, the final page of the Setup program appears, with "I want to create the Windchill Quality Solutions database now" selected. If a previous version of Windchill Quality Solutions is found on the computer, this page also displays two conversion options. Descriptions follow for all three options that can appear. I want to create the Windchill Quality Solutions database now — When this

starts the New Database Wizard. You use this wizard to create the Windchill Quality Solutions database for this installation. For more information, see Database Creation on page 25.

Convert data from previous versions of Windchill Quality Solutions When this option is present and selected, clicking Finish starts the Windchill Quality Solutions 10.1 Conversion Wizard. You use this wizard to copy the files in an already existing database to aWindchill Quality Solutions 10.1 database. For more information, see Database Conversion on page 29

My test installation did not detect the previous version.

Based upon this I assume that there is no actual "upgrade" of the software. Instead, the customer is expected to install version 10.1 in parallel with version 10.0 and then convert the database and set up appropriate connections for version 10.1

Am I correct?

Stan

Message was edited by: STAN

Top Tags