cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Upgrade path from 9.0 to 9.1

gkemner
1-Newbie

Upgrade path from 9.0 to 9.1

I need to get a basic understanding of how we can upgrade our current
Intralink/Windchill 9.0 M030 system to Intralink/Windchill 9.1 M040 (or
later)

* Is it a direct upgrade?
* Do I need to perform one or more incremental upgrades to get to
where I want to go?
* Things to watch out for?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Greg,

You need to do the "Rehost" operation. I'm in the process of doing it.

Mike Pinkney

Senior Engineer

Triple Ring Technologies, Inc.

Greg,

You can do a direct upgrade from 9.0 M030 to 9.1 M040. It's is a fairly
simple process (depending on your set up of course) that involves running
the PSI, running some Oracle scripts and executing some ant build commands.
The problem you will run into is anything from 9.1 M030 should be run on
Windchill DS instead of Aphelion. This can sometimes cause errors with the
LDAP if not performed correctly or if you have a lot of customizations.

Hope this helps,
Zack

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Kemner, Greg (AS) <->wrote:

> I need to get a basic understanding of how we can upgrade our current
> Intralink/Windchill 9.0 M030 system to Intralink/Windchill 9.1 M040 (or
> later)
>
> · Is it a direct upgrade?
>
> · Do I need to perform one or more incremental upgrades to get to
> where I want to go?
>
> · Things to watch out for?
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>

Hi Greg

I upgraded our system from 9.0 M040 to 9.1 M040 about 4 weeks ago.

You need to upgrade Aphelion first as this is being replaced by
Windchill DS.
Then Apache and tomcat, then the final upgrade of what's left.
All these upgrades are performed by the PSI (solution installer) and are
relatively straight forward (just feed it the discs)

There is a document on the PTC website titled Windchill Installation and
Configuration - Update Existing Installation which is vital reading.
As always try it on a test system first.

I would wait for 9.1 M050 as M040 has a problem with the remove
unreferenced files deleting files that are used.

Good Luck

Sarah Ford
CAD Designer/System Admin
Tel. 01202 627200 Ext. 236
www.westwind-airbearings.com

Greg,

I think you will need to upgrade the database as well using the upgrademanager in addtion to upgrading the application and third party components, as Sarah indicated below. We are still on 8.0 and plan to upgrade to 9.1 this May, I have done two rehearsals upgrades from 8.0 M050 to 9.1 M020. There is an upgrade guide on the ptc website that details all the activities necessary for a successful upgrade. Other activities including executing the WinDU tool to clean up the database prior to upgrade.

HTH,

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, PDP Systems
John Deere Power Systems
Product Engineering Center
*Voice: 319-292-8575
*Mobile: 319-429-5336
*FaxFax:319-292-6282
*E-Mail: -

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to Deere & Company, or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

Upgrading the database is only needed if you go from 8.0 to 9.0 or 8.0 to
9.1. If you go from 9.0 to 9.1, no need to do this, just run PSI and
upgrade Aphelion, Apache, Tomcat, Windchill etc. as others already mentioned
in here.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Chukwuka Alexius C <
-> wrote:

> Greg,
>
>
> I think you will need to upgrade the database as well using the
> upgrademanager in addtion to upgrading the application and third party
> components, as Sarah indicated below. We are still on 8.0 and plan to
> upgrade to 9.1 this May, I have done two rehearsals upgrades from 8.0 M050
> to 9.1 M020. There is an upgrade guide on the ptc website that details all
> the activities necessary for a successful upgrade. Other activities
> including executing the WinDU tool to clean up the database prior to
> upgrade.
>
> HTH,
>
>
> *Alexius C. Chukwuka*
> *IT Analyst, PDP Systems*
> John Deere Power Systems
> Product Engineering Center
> (***Voice*: 319-292-8575
> (***Mobile*: 319-429-5336
> *4Fax*Fax:319-292-6282
> +***E-Mail*: -
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it
> may contain information proprietary to Deere & Company, or one of its
> subsidiaries or affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the
> individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in
> confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of
> the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible
> for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised
> that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use,
> dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error,
> please immediately notify the sender by return mail.
>
>

Thanks for the clarification Kandipati. I was not sure about that part as I have not done 9.0 - 9.1.

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, PDP Systems
John Deere Power Systems

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to Deere & Company, or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

If you are upgrading from 9.0 to 9.1, this is an UPGRADE not a service pack of a build of windchill. You have to use the upgrade procedure. See attached task list that might help you when you do an upgrade. It is a little outdated because of the new Windchill DS but all in all it works for me.

I would wait a couple of weeks for Windchill 9.1 M050 for RedHat 5.# ES with 2 intel quad/i7's (8 cores/12 cores) with unlimited DDR3 RAM. It isvery fast.

I have tested this against HP-UX itaniums, HP-UX Risc and intel dual cores with the same total number of core and I've seen 10X faster performance. We are now using HP BladesBL460C G6with a 10GIGE switch with oracle and the CAD worker Windows 7/200864bit/R2server(7 CAD workers). I just wish ProE was supported on Linux. With that many cores, you can have 6 method servers and 3 background method servers with 48 GIG of RAM.

We are also testing with rack mountable remote ProE workstations. The cost this architecture of server room based workstations to of upgrading the entire network is very convincing plus advantages including the added security. both Dell and HP have relatively the same solution. Dell has be great providing in-house testing for free. We haven't heard much from HP.

Give it a try.

Patrick,

This was my impression as well, but a previous respondent to this thread said only the application and 3rd party components needs upgrading and not the database. My understanding was that, if you are going from one point release to another point release, it is a major UPGRADE, and if you are not doing that and only going from one MOR to another in the same release then it is just a minor maintenance release upgrade. In my mind 9.0 ==> 9.1 is a major UPGRADE, and not a service pack ugrade.

Thanks

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, PDP Systems
John Deere Power Systems

My bad,

Thanks Alexius,

Becareful to make sure your Tomcat versions in in sync with Javalike version 6which issupported in 9.1.

Sorry guys,

Only had 2 hours of sleep last night due to my new born son.

I'm just confirming what is said above. You can stay with Oracle 10G which is set at 8K block size. You can always test/move to Oracle 11G with 16K block size and a better performance which is always depending system resources of RAM and CPU.

If you are rehosting a Windchill 9.0 application to point to an Oracle 11G database after an import, you need to add these lines to the Windchill 9.0 site.xconf:

<property name="wt.generation.sql.tinyBlobSize" overridable="true"&lt;br"/> targetFile="codebase/user.properties"
value="32k"/>
<property name="wt.generation.sql.smallBlobSize" overridable="true"&lt;br"/> targetFile="codebase/user.properties"

In the command line run the following:

xconfmangager -p

$WT_HOME/bin/JavaGen.shregistry false false true false false

this will reset all your SQLs to increment to 32K ratherthan8K which is less than the 16K for Oracle 11G. Plus, after an import all your data is now contiguous.

Then you are good.
value="32k"/>

Top Tags