cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Upgrade rbinfo files

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Upgrade rbinfo files

I am in the process of upgrading from Windchill 10.0m040 to Windchill 11.0m030.

I have some customized rbinfo files in my wtCustom folder which I have copied over to the WC11 install structure.

Do I need to run resourcebuild on these files before I do UpgradeManager or will the UpgradeManager find these and build them into my final WC11 system?

If I need to run resourcebuild first, can somone provide me the proper syntax for building StateRB.rbinfo which is in the <loadpoint>/wtCustom/wt/lifecycle folder into the OOTB WC11 install.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:BenLoosli)

@BenLoosli wrote:

I have some customized rbinfo files in my wtCustom folder which I have copied over to the WC11 install structure.

Do I need to run resourcebuild on these files before I do UpgradeManager or will the UpgradeManager find these and build them into my final WC11 system?

If I need to run resourcebuild first, can somone provide me the proper syntax for building StateRB.rbinfo which is in the <loadpoint>/wtCustom/wt/lifecycle folder into the OOTB WC11 install.

Thanks

• When I did my upgrade from 10.2 M030 to 11.0 F000 I did the following
  1. copied the wtCustom folder from 10.2 to 11.0
  2. manually ran the ant scripts as follows
    • cd /opt/ptc/Windchill/Windchill
      ant -f ./bin/tools.xml bundle_custom -Dbundle.input=registry
      ant -f ./codebase/MakeJar.xml custUpdate

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@BenLoosli wrote:

Thanks

• When I did my upgrade from 10.2 M030 to 11.0 F000 I did the following
  1. copied the wtCustom folder from 10.2 to 11.0
  2. manually ran the ant scripts as follows
    • cd /opt/ptc/Windchill/Windchill
      ant -f ./bin/tools.xml bundle_custom -Dbundle.input=registry
      ant -f ./codebase/MakeJar.xml custUpdate
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:RandyJones)

Didn't work for me 😞

Opened a Windchill shell command window, folder is e:\ptc\wc_11\Windchill

Entered: ant -f bin/tools.xml bundle_custom -Dbundle.input=registry

Error message that Build.xml cannot be found.

I also tried it with: ant -f ./bin/tools.xml bundle_custom -Dbundle.input=registry

and same results.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@BenLoosli wrote:

Didn't work for me 😞

Opened a Windchill shell command window, folder is e:\ptc\wc_11\Windchill

Entered: ant -f bin/tools.xml bundle_custom -Dbundle.input=registry

Error message that Build.xml cannot be found.

I also tried it with: ant -f ./bin/tools.xml bundle_custom -Dbundle.input=registry

and same results.

Interesting error message. You should have gotten "bin/tools.xml does not exist".  You will get the error message you got when not specifying the -f argument.

This is what I get when supplying a non existent file with the -f argument:

root@wct03:/opt/ptc/Windchill/Windchill# ant -f bin/NoSuch.xml
Buildfile: bin/NoSuch.xml does not exist!
Build failed
root@wct03:/opt/ptc/Windchill/Windchill#

This is what I get when not specifying the -f and there is no build.xml in the current directory:

root@wct03:/opt/ptc/Windchill/Windchill# ant
Buildfile: build.xml does not exist!
Build failed
root@wct03:/opt/ptc/Windchill/Windchill#

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I must have mistyped the command yesterday becasue I just did it again and I got a successful build.

Now, how do you verify that your changes are in place if it is an OOTB install with no users, products, files or anything? I would have thought some file under codebase/src would be modified, but I am not seeing any changes there.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

@BenLoosli wrote:

I must have mistyped the command yesterday becasue I just did it again and I got a successful build.

Good.

Now, how do you verify that your changes are in place if it is an OOTB install with no users, products, files or anything? I would have thought some file under codebase/src would be modified, but I am not seeing any changes there.

Take a look under codebase/<SamePathAsUnder wtCustom>.ser

For example if you have wtCustom/wt/lifecycle/StateRB.info

Then take a look at codebase/wt/lifecycle/StateRB.ser

You can do (on unix anyways...) string command on the compiled .ser files and see if the customizations are in place.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Thanks, Randy.

I thought that is where the customization would go. I lookied on my WC10 and the StateRB.ser file was modified at the proper time, but when I just looked at the WC11 files, they all have the original timestamps and my customozations are not in there.

I jnow when we did the 9.1 to 10 upgrade, we applied the customizations after the upgrade, but the WC11 upgrade guide says to do the customizations before the upgrademanager is run.

Since the ant command is being run from the Windchill folder, I am guessing that the scripting knows to look in the wtCustom folders and process all *.rbinfo files under there.

It seems as if the rehosting of 10 and the upgrade to 11 is more complex than the 9.1 and 10 versions were. Though once I figured out some shortcuts with the rehosting process and the rehost utility, that process goes smoothly now.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Randy,

I made some changes and everything ran the secind time and the *.ser files are changed and the RB files have today's date on them.

I did find that the enumCustomize command will show the modified files. The added customizations that I added show up initalics and the PTC values are in normal text. Very easy to see what has been changed and verify you got it right.

Top Tags