cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

User preference got changed ...

JohnDavid
1-Newbie

User preference got changed ...

Hi All,

In windchill PDMLink system,

All of a sudden my preference got changed for "Visualization->Select viewing Tool" to "Yes". So users were not able to view the drawing as they were using Product View Standard edition to view the drawing.

Description:Choose whether ProductView Standard Edition is to be used as the default Visualization client, if not the ProductView Lite Edition will be used.

Do you have any idea about why it has been changed?

what are the other option to change preference other than by using UI?

Have you ever faced the issue?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

BR,

John

9 REPLIES 9

Hello John,

It could be possible that the preference value has been changed by the Administrator.

Can you please tell from which level you have changed the value of preference i.e. Site>Utilities>Preference Manager, Organization>Utilities>Preference Manager, Prod/Lib>Utilities>Preference Manager or Home>Utilities>Preference Manager.

Regards

~Harshal

Dear Harshal,

Thanks for your reply.

I am the administrator of the sysem. I have not changed any preference.

It got changed at user level. Not all users, only limited users from some region reported this issue.

BR,

John.

Dear Harshal,

Thanks for your reply.

I am the administrator of the sysem. I have not changed any preference.

It got changed at user level. Not all users, only limited users from some region reported this issue.

BR,

John.

Hello John,

When we change the preference value as Administrator from Site>Utilities>Preference Manager then the changed value gets propogated to all users below it.

But if any specific region administrator/Organization administrator changes the value to by overwriting the values changed by Site admin then its possible that few users under that particular organization will refer the Value as per Organization administrator.

Can you please check above probability ?

Thanks
~Harshal

Hi Harshal,

That did not changed at Organization or Product/Library level. That had been changed at user level.

BR,

John

Hello John,

Oh... Its verly unlikely that the preference has been changed for some users unless the value is intentionally changed by individual users or by Organization/Site administrator.

Other than UI, there is no way to change the value of preference. Only Administrator can change the value using some command line tools which need to execute on Server side. So thats also not the case at your end.

~Harshal

I have no idea why or how it changed. If you want to force the same behavior for everybody.. At the site level, delete child instances, set it, and lock it.

Preferences are generally changed through the UI. They *can* be changed through some APIs or straight DB. I can't speak for this preference, but I know that search behavior is handled through a combination of preferences and properties.

Try setting it where you want it and see if it changes again. I'm not in the office so can't look it up, but you may be able to enable auditing for preferences.

Good luck

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the information.

can you plese tell somthing more about auditing for preference.

BR,

John.

Look at the last post by Cuyler here: http://communities.ptc.com/thread/35758?tstart=0

Top Tags