cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Users Connected to Windchill 9.1

ptc-5825426
1-Newbie

Users Connected to Windchill 9.1

How to check how many users have conneted/using Windchill9.1 application ?

13 REPLIES 13

Hi,

Do you need the currently connected no:of users ? or Total users in Windchill ?

For the former, you can use the Site>UtilitiesSystem Administration>Server Manager / Monitor link.

You should log as Site Admin.

Thanks

hari

I need to check the total no: of users using Windchill 9.1

Arya,

you could do it by using a report.

In the community there is a group about reporting that you can join.

I wrote a document with a lot of useful things about reporting, that I found in different places (PTC Community, PTC/User.org and PTC Technical Support).

In this document you can find also something about user access.

Marco

Marco
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:hvaradharajan)

I assume you meant Site -> Utilities -> Server Status -- and then examine the "Current Active Users" entry on the resulting page.

In that page, you'll also note a set of hyperlinks listed for the "Server Managers". Clicking on one of these will take you to a data table for that server manager.

Depending on the R9.1 MOR you're at, you might have a hyperlink from the "Master Server Manager" or "Server Manager" entry in this table (the link is present in my R9.1 M070 system). If so, this link will take you to an MBean dump for the server manager in question. Searching for ActiveUsers in this dump, you'll find either a link (in which case click on it to jump to its data table) or a data table. In that table you'll notice that TotalActiveUsers provides you a list of all the users currently active in the system.

This same information is, of course, all available via JMX consoles like JConsole and VisualVM.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:jessh)

Actually I forgot about the quantity of users available via server manager - great point. In thinking about this again, I realize that from Security Audit Reporting, you actually can get the names of all users who have logged on.

So - best of both worlds:

- Use Server Status to see how many are on right now

- Use Security Audit Reporting (can get to AUDITRECORD table directly or thru a query builder report if desired) in order to see actual users who have logged on.

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeLockwood)

I guess the way I'd put it is:

• For current active user count and list: see Server Status page, MBean dump and/or JMX console
  • For past active user count and list: Security Audit Reporting, Query Builder, etc.

In 10.x releases one can also get active user counts for the last 120 days from the (non-modeled) SMHealthStats table and a chart linked to from the active user count on the server status page. This data is generated every 10 minutes from every server manager, rather than upon each user login/logout, however, so it is less accurate in between the 10 minute samples.

As others have stated, there are multiple ways to get the total number of users currentlly on. Getting the list of who they are is more challenging. I know of two ways:

1. Security Audit Reporting, event=Login, when=Today. This at least gives a list of who has logged on today - can't tell if they are still on. But - there is also a "Logoff" event which sort of is a timeout. One list minus the other at least gets close.

2. If you install and use PTC System Monitor (PSM), then run the User Actions dashboard, it gives all users (by login, not Full Name) who have taken any action (including login) in the time period used, Can't tell here as well if the user is still on, but can for example send a message to allwho logged on or took any other action in the past hour.

PSM is free and superb - don't knpw why more don't have it in place.

Open Windchill Shell and run the command <jconsole>. You will see java gui app, that will ask you which process you want to monitoring. Select variant like "wt.method.MethodServerMain wt.method.serviceName=..." and press Connect.

Then open MBeans tab and in the folder structure open the node like:

com.ptc/Monitors/ActiveUsers/Attributes/TotalActiveUsers. In the right field in the Value string you will see: java.lang.String[usersCount]. Double click on this will open the list of users logins.

Thank you!!

I've seen this exact question posted to the world at least 50 times in the past 10 years - and have asked it myself a bunch of times.

Never got this answer before. Provides exactly what is needed..

See attached screen capture.

thanks again

Mike,

if I'm not wrong, what Anton said is exactly the same as what Jess Holle wrote this morning.

The results from windchill shell is the same as you get from GUI using Server Status and it could be misleading because of 30 minutes of buffer in server cache.

Marco
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeLockwood)

Note that in general you want to refer to the "TotalActiveUsers" attribute -- as this is the list for the whole cluster, whereas "ActiveUsers" is for the node in question.

Nice to help you, Mike!

PTC document expalins the same procedure.. CS146093..

In our case we were unable to access jconsole via connecting to "wt.method.MethodServerMain wt.method.serviceName=...".

Encountered following error

Error_Connect.JPG

But its resolved one we straightway used windchill wt.util.jmx.SMJconsole in Windchill shell.

Top Tags