cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Users for multiple Windchill installations

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Users for multiple Windchill installations

We are in the process of setting additional Windchill systems. One is on a secured network and the other 2 or on the open internet , though protected from outside access.

We know we have more users than licenses on the secured system as the original admin put everyone in the company into the system. We have down sized since then (2008) and I have been marking accounts with a NLH (No Longer Here) to their names so we can see that someone who did something is not here. I still have more accounts to mark, but it is a low priority task.

With the additional Windchill systems, some of our users will need accounts on all 3 systems and some only 2 of the 3. When it comes to licensing, is it per username (1 license needed for all systems) or per user account (1 license needed for each user on each Windchill)?

Are Windchill licenses served from a common server, like Creo licenses? This would allow sharing between the 2 new Windchill systems as the share the same network. I share Creo code on a server between these 2 groups now, just use different license servers and parametric-xxx.bat files depending on which Creo license they use.

I know some users will be in an administrator role and thus have a working account as well as access to wcadmin or the orgadmin accounts. Do these system accounts need licenses?

What is the criteria for allowing a user to be put into the license exclusion group?

Currently on Creo 4 m080 and Windchill 11.0 m030 CPS06/08/16 (depending on which system)

Planned upgrade in late 2020 to Windchill 12 (since it will work with Creo 4) and then Creo 7.

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

There is a whole page dedicated to licensing in Windchill 11.1 and beyond, but let me try to address a few of your specific questions.

• How are users licensed?  Most Windchill users are 'named users' meaning you associate an actually, physical, named user with each license you own.  (For some types of Windchill usage there is also offered 'Active Daily User' licenses which are similar to Creo floating licenses, but lock to a user for a 24 hour period.  These are not currently available for the classic Windchill 'heavy' type of users.)
  • Can the same user access multiple systems with a single license?  Yes, each named Windchill user is legally permitted to access any Windchill installation your company owns using that one single license.  Each Windchill system will be given a separate, unique license file that will allow ALL of your company's licenses to be used for each of them.  The licenses consumed on one Windchill server have no impact on the licenses used on a different Windchill server.
  • Are multiple licenses required if the same user performs multiple roles?  No.  The one license legally allows that user to access any Windchill system, even if that users has multiple roles and multiple user accounts (logins).  Unfortunately Windchill doesn't know how to associate real, 'named users' to licenses, it can only associate usernames (logins) with licenses.  This is where the license exclusion group comes in.
  • Who can be placed in the license exclusion group?  Technically this is designed for users who need to login as both themselves and with another account for administrative purposes (orgadmin, siteadmin, etc.).  Practically this group can be used for any user with multiple logins.  The user's primary login would be associated with the appropriate license and all their other logins would be added to the license exclusion group.  Users in this group will not count against your license usage.
BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite
(To:TomU)

From what I understand, the 'Active Daily User' license is no longer available to purchase as of October 1st when they redid the license scheme again.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BrianToussaint)

Hmmm.  I just checked with my VAR and he said he hasn't heard anything like that.  The ADU SKUs are still listed in the latest catalog and seem to be available...

Active Daily User SKUs.PNG

Arpit-Singh
15-Moonstone
(To:TomU)

ADUs are still available for:

1. View, Contribute License

2. Platform Structures License

Top Tags