cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Using PDME to store non-Creo files

egolden
1-Newbie

Using PDME to store non-Creo files

Hello;

We have PDME at our company, but to this point we've only used it to store native Creo files.  We now have people who want to store non-Creo files (Word, Excel, PDFs, and AutoCAD) in the PDME vault.  We knew enough when it was installed to have a "side" of it reserved for AutoCAD files (Product), and the other files will just go in a folder system we create.  My question is; what is the best way to accomplish this, especially since the people using it will be non-Creo users?  i.e. people who work in AutoCAD/Word/Excel want to store their files in the PDME vault.

I can set them up with accounts, and I think it makes sense for them to use the external browser to load everything in vs. having to open each application for the integrated tabs.  So they would log in, then use the "New Document" or "New Multiple Documents", where they can just drag and drop the files into the dialogue box, etc.  I've tried walking through this process, and the files check in fine, and then I pretended I wanted to edit one of them, so I checked it out...and I don't know where it's going.  In the internal browser in Creo, when I check out a Creo file, it just goes to my local workspace...in the external browser, I can't find where it's putting the file.

And in general is this the best way to do this for non-CAD users?  I have the Desktop Integration installed on my computer so I can use Windows Explorer to see the non-CAD files; is this the better way to do this?

Anybody have non-CAD users who are putting non-CAD and AutoCAD files into the vault and working with them?

-eric

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags