cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PDMLink To Store AutoCAD and FrameMaker Files

Level 1

Using PDMLink To Store AutoCAD and FrameMaker Files

Good Day All,

We are looking into using PDMLink to store AutoCAD and FrameMaker files.
I'm trying to decide if we should make separate soft types for them or
just to store them as WTDocuments. I'm curious what other companies are
doing.

Thanks

Jim Van Dragt
Information Technology
Herman Miller Inc.
616.654.5285 - Office
616.836.8394 - Cell

3 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: Using PDMLink To Store AutoCAD and FrameMaker Files

Hi did you manage to use WNC for this? I am also interested in using WNC to store FrameMaker documents but i dont know if it wll work with linked Images. A FM connector would be nice to have.

If you can, use the ACAD WGM to store and manage ACAD files. Then they get recognized as EPM subtypes and you get WGM benefits.

As for your Framemaker files as a soft type. Probably, but it depends. Are these legacy only objects or are they actively modified? Are they design/product definition files? Are you using wtParts?

Do they have different reporting or access control than your regular wtDocs? Do they have different attributes?

Hi, I work as a Technical Writer so I dont work with CAD tools i general, there for some of what you say is hard to understand. ACAD, WGM, EPM, subtypes, soft types is nothing I now about. wtPart and wtDocs - yeah we use that.

So, I have theese FrameMaker (Adobe) documents (Its like any obsure document you havnt heard of); a bookfile liked to several oridinary ones and of cource linked images. From them we produce PDFs and sometimes we make a baseline and send elsewhere as a delivery.

I know I can use WNC to store the documents but how about checking out, edit  and checking it back in again? Can I work with the explorer integration? Will referenced links resolv as they do on a normal windows file server area? Where can i read about those WGM benefits and soft types?