cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using windows authentication

Highlighted
Participant

Using windows authentication

So, I have my Windhill system running now. The next thing I'd like to do is to set it up so that our users can log on with their usual windows userids and passwords. I assume this involves configuring LDAP to work with Active Directory. Can somebody point me to a step-by-step guide to achieve this? Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

RE: Using windows authentication

There is the TPI 135027 which is pretty much "step-by-step" guide. It's for version 8, though, I haven't checked if it will work with Windchill 9. All information about working with ADS is also available in the "Windchill Installation and Configuration Guide - Advanced" (\Ptc\Windchill_9.0\Windchill\codebase\wt\clients\library\WCAdvancedInstallConfigGuide.pdf), chapter "Configuring Additional Enterprise Directories"
Highlighted

Did you get this working?

Hi Ric, Were you able to get this working? I am currently trying to setup Windchill 9.0 to authenticate against the SunONE LDAP directory, which PTC says should be similar to configuring Windchill to AD. I am able to see my users from LDAP with the Principal Administrator, but when I try to log in to windchill with one of those user accounts I am not able to. My apache error.log states that there is a "password mismatch". Was there anything else you had to do that wasn't in the TPI #135027 to initialize your ldap users or make the 'active' in Windchill? Sorry for the questions; everything seems to be working in my system but it's not Thanks, Tim Brungardt
Highlighted

RE: Did you get this working?

Hi Tim - apologies for the delay in responding. No, I still haven't got it working. It's been driving me crazy for weeks. I have a support call open for this for but we cannot figure out the problem...and it's all gone very quiet. I'm getting LDAP error 49 and the method server fails to start. This means the userid/pw credentials are wrong...but I know they work since I can manually connect using the same credentials in the LDAP Browser utility. It's so frustrating. There must be something else in the adapter definition that's causing the problem. Maybe one of the additional attributes is wrong. I only got half-way through that support note. Did you manage to sort your problem out? If anyone knows what else I can check to solve LDAP error 49 then please let me know!
Highlighted

Hey Rick, Can you post the last few lines from the MethodServer log file? I recall getting a 'notification manager' error in my method server log when the provider url in my enterpriseLDAP adapter wasn't set up correctly. I was able to fix my issue, thanks for asking. This stuff does work, eventually -Tim
Highlighted

Thanks Tim. I'm not sure how many lines are of interest (there are quite a few following the ldap error!) but here's an extract: The ldap errors read: Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: wt.util.WTException: javax.naming.AuthenticationException: [LDAP: error code 49 - 80090308: LdapErr: DSID-0C090334, comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 525, vece ] Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: Nested exception is: javax.naming.AuthenticationException: [LDAP: error code 49 - 80090308: LdapErr: DSID-0C090334, comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 525, vece ] I understand that 525 means an invalid userid (wow - if only it was that simple). From this point on I just get a load of exceptions ending with: Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: wt.services.ManagerException: Couldn't initialize Index manager. Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: at wt.index.StandardIndexPolicyManager.performStartupProcess(StandardIndexPolicyManager.java:937) Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: at wt.services.StandardManager.startup(StandardManager.java:631) Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: at wt.services.ManagerImplementation.startup(ManagerImplementation.java:477) Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: at wt.services.DefaultStartupHandler.startup(DefaultStartupHandler.java:206) Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: at wt.services.StandardManagerService.performStartupProcess(StandardManagerService.java:216) Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: at wt.services.StandardManager.startup(StandardManager.java:631) Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: at wt.services.StandardServicesHandler.start(StandardServicesHandler.java:44) Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: at wt.method.MethodServerMain.run(MethodServerMain.java:346) Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: at wt.method.MethodServerMain.start(MethodServerMain.java:241) Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: at wt.method.MethodServerMain.main(MethodServerMain.java:208) Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: FATAL : wt.method.server.shutdown - Stopping services... Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: INFO : wt.method.server.shutdown.services - All managers shut down. Wed 9/10/08 07:21:32: main: FATAL : wt.method.server.shutdown - MethodServer stopped Any suggestions are welcome! I really need to get this thing working soon - it's becoming an embarrassment. Thanks, Ric.
Highlighted

Hi, I have made windchill work against AD ldap.call me at 510 648 1317, if you are having trouble. Loki
Highlighted

Re: RE: Did you get this working?

Did you get this sorted out? I'm having almost the same issues only my ldap error is 53. Otherwise same logs, and method server won't start

Highlighted

Re: RE: Did you get this working?

Yes it was all sorted in the end. Basically I had to create a new adapter from scratch. First thing to check is that you can connect to AD through the LDAP browser with the credentials that you are specifying in the adapter. Once that's working everything else is down to the adapter definition. If I recall correctly the TPI was ok for this.

Announcements